(1) Prologue

ENCHANTED

CHAPTER 1 | Prologue  ❝  Tell her about me

Tell her about me. ❞

THE STORY OF KING ROBERT'S REBELLION was often told in many forms. The year long crusade was forever painted in history, passed from the lips of father to son. Everyone in the Seven Kingdoms knew the story- but none of them knew the truth.

None of them knew the truth of that night. The night that the moon shined so bright that it could have almost been mistaken for the sun. The night that she was born, the princess that would forever change the fate of the Kingdoms.

A shrill cry had erupted from her mother that night- Lyanna Stark practically lying on her deathbed all the while they stormed the castle.

Robert Baratheon and a trusted few had come to retrieve her, including her brother, Ned Stark. They had come to retrieve the wrongfully stolen prize, or so they had believed.

They belived in their hearts that Lyanna was in danger but truthfully, the only danger the woman was in was the danger of bleeding to death trying to birth her babe. A baby girl, the Maester had said, for the child had been born the wrong way and came out body first.

This was what caused Lyanna so much pain. She wailed and wailed, grabbing onto the hand of her handmaiden and causing her trusted knight, Ser Barris, to flinch at the young woman's screams.

"Push!" The Maester encouraged, motivating the girl until finally, an even shriller cry erupted in the room.

The screaming babe with patches of dark hair and blue eyes was placed in her mother's arms. And despite Lyanna's life force slipping away, she gathered the energy to smile at her daughter.

"Rhaenerys," She whispered the name that her husband had planned for her and teared up. Her heart ached at the memory of her late love, but the fact that she would be joining him soon brought her great comfort.

The darkness in her vision and the screaming down the hall made sure of that.

They were here.

"My Princess-" Both Maester, handmaiden and knight shared nervous glances and looked towards the door, the pounding foorsteps getting closer and closer. "I'm sorry, but there's not much time- we have to leave before they get here! They'll slaughter your daughter and band you a traitor if they find us!"

"Then leave," Lyanna ordered with the most authority she could muster. She feared for her daughter's life as the shadows approached. "Take the secret exit and get her out of here! All of you- go!"

"But Princess-!" The knight stepped up, "What about you? We cannot leave you here!"

Lyanna gave him a sad smile. "I am to join my prince soon, dear Barris." She said. "Do not worry about me- for I will die content knowing my daughter is safe and we shall not be reunited soon."

"But-"

"Go!" Lyanna's eyes widened as a bang sounded at her door. The three around her jumped- the babe in her arms crying harder. "Get out of here, leave!"

"My princess," The Knight teared up as the handmaiden and Maester began to open a small latch on the bottom of the floor. It was so well hidden that it blended in with the wood, but it was soon exposed and ready to swallow them with its safety. "I will do everything I can to take care of little Rhaenerys."

"Thank you," Lyanna smiled weakly. And though it pained her more than anything, she handed the babe over to the knight along with a necklace and a letter. "Tell her about me. Please, tell her that-"

"I shall tell her that her mother was the most wonderful woman I've ever had the pleasure of meeting," The Knight cut her off.

"And her father-"

"I'll tell her the truth about him, too," The man said through tears. "That he was kind. And he loved you and her more than anything."

Lyanna gave a slight nod and sobbed as the man took her child and walked into the darkness with her. The last glimps she ever got of Rhaenerys Targaryen was her little head disappearing into the floor, before the door shut and hers burst open.