(18) Tragedy Strikes

ENCHANTED

✩。:*•. ──────────  ☆ ──────────.•*:。✩

WHERE LOVE BLOOMED, TRAGEDY HAD ALWAYS HAD A FUNNY WAY OF weaseling it's way into it.

Not long before their wedding, Rhaenerys and Robb's happy ending slipped even further from their grasp as the news of King Robert's attack was announced one day.

He was mauled by a boar, Robb had said. But the words that came out of his mouth next were the ones that truly terrified Rhaenerys.

"They say it's fatal. He won't last long—a couple hours at most. He's slipping and everybody knows it. The Lannister's are already making their plans."

The Lannister's are already making their plans.

Of course.

With Robert dead, his absolutely horrible son Joffrey would be made King. This was what truly terrified Rhaenerys, as she knew that with him on the throne thousands would die.

And it would all be her fault, because she and Daenerys would never achieve peace with him on the throne. With Joffrey, it would either be two choices: kill or be killed. And Rhaenerys for one didn't plan on dying at the same age of her mother.

Likewise, Robb feared for her and what it meant for him and his whole family.

Robert was merciful because of his relationship with Ned, even allowing the pair to get married for the sake of peace.

That was because no matter what, two things would always be true about Robert Baratheon. One, he loved Ned Stark more than any one on this earth. And two, he wasn't as much as an idiot as people thought he was.

Robert wanted peace. He was smart and knew he would never truly win this war. But with Rhaenerys on his side, he would have two dragons, the Unsullied, and the peace of knowing her family would never attack while she was there, especially her aunt.

But Joffrey? He would have Robb and his entire family hanged for treason the minute Cersei uttered the words in his ear.

And that terrified Robb Stark.

The pair of young lovers began making their plans shortly after the news. And with tears in his eyes and sorrow in his heart, Robb told Rhaenerys the one thing he knew she didn't want to hear.

"You have to go back to Dragonstone," He pleaded with his love, "Joffrey will kill you the minute his mother tells him you're here!"

"No!" And of course, Rhaenerys had disagreed and pleaded with Robb to let her stay. "No, I-I want to stay  here with you Robb! Damn them all, that's what you said! You said we'd be married no matter who stood in our way!"

"And I'm telling you now that there will be no marriage if we're both dead, my love," He peladed again. Taking her hand, he tried to ignore the pain in his chest as she began to sob. "Rhaenerys!"

"No!" The girl yanked away from his grip and shook her head rapidly, already having made up her mind. "No, I'm not going, Robb! I'm staying here and together we'll face anything that Joffrey throws at us! If it comes to it, I'll burn this Kingdom down with him in it! I'll burn it all for you just—please!"

"I'm sorry," Rhaenerys sobbed and Robb couldn't bring himself to look at her knowing what he already done.

He wanted her to be safe, that's all. That's what he told himself as Ser Barris suddenly burst into the room, Robb having sent him a Raven as soon he heard of the news.

"Princess," The old man gasped at the girl he never thought he'd see again.

"Ser Barris!" Confusion creeped onto Rhaenerys' face at his sudden presence. She gasped, not knowing if the sight in front of her was real or not.

"I came as soon as I heard," The old knight told Robb firmly, holding up the piece of parchment with his handwriting. "Even took one of her dragons to get here faster."

"Thank you," Robb whispered to the old man with tears in his eyes. A mutual understanding was silently pledged between them as Rhaenerys was still confused.

"I don't—I don't understand," She muttered softly, looking at the two men who loved her, "Why is he here, Robb? What did you do?!"

Her eyes were accusing as Robb lowered his head and Ser Barris made a move to carry the little princess.

"Robb told me to come and take you home," He told Rhaenerys softly, her eyes widening.

"No!" Her voice shook with such power but she was practically defenseless as the old knight began dragging her out of the room. "No, Robb! ROBB! SER BARRIS LET ME GO!"

"It's for the best," The knight whispered as he carried the girl from the castle, ignoring her kicking and screaming and pounding on his chest.

Rhaenerys didn't even get to say goodbye to Robb as his face disappeared behind many cobblestone walls.

She sobbed and she sobbed, but Ser Barris didn't let her down until they reached the dragon surrounded by many of the King's guard corpses.

"It's for the best," Ser Barris repeated as he lifted her onto the dragon's back.

Rhaenerys sobbed into the scales on his back and Rhaegar gave a great screech as he took off. The sound mimicked the way Rhaenerys currently felt at the moment, And unbeknownst to her, Robb as well as he watched the great dragon carry his love away from him from the highest window in the castle.