(3) A Proposition

ENCHANTED

CHAPTER 3 | A Proposition  ❝  Not many people will want to follow an unmarried young woman

Not many people will want to follow an unmarried young woman. ❞

THE CASTLE WAS EVEYTHING AND MORE TO Rhaenerys as she toured it and had Ser Barris tell her all of the ancient history that went along with it.

As she walked through the halls, she got to see the places where her mother and father once stood, where her siblings once stayed, and grappled with the ghosts what could have been if only the world knew of her parents love.

She sighed, but she tried not to let the feelings of sadness and anemoia overtake her. Instead, she thought about all of the happy memories that must have been made there, and with that she found herself in a room reminiscing quietly.

Not shortly after they arrived, Viserys had taken it upon himself to storm the Thorne room and already declare himself as ruler of Dragonstone.

Both Daenerys and Rhaenerys fight to roll their eyes but went along with anyways.

Not long after that and after her tours were done, the 'king' had also summoned Rhaenerys to the room.

Though she wondered what her uncle may want with her, Rhaenerys knew in her heart that it probably wasn't good.

Nevertheless, she sucked it up and was escorted to the throne room by Ser Barris and Wrymrot, the second in command of the Unsullied army.

"Uncle," Her voice was soft as she approached, and though her companions were forced to bow, Rhaenerys lightly refused. In her mind, Viserys was anything but her king.

Instead she decided to walk up the steps and stand in front of him. The smirk on his face and the worry on Daenerys' caused Rhaenerys' stomach to nearly drop to her feet.

"Ah, my dear niece," He said in false cheeriness. "How wonderful of you to join us. It is a glorious day and a glorious castle, isn't it sister?"

Daenerys only nodded and kept her lips pressed firmly together. "Indeed it is, brother."

"King," Viserys corrected her swiftly before turning back to his niece. "This all would have been yours, you know. As third in line you would have gotten Dragonstone while we ruled Westeros."

"What a gratifying thought," Rhaenerys pretended to smile.

"Well yes, I suppose," Viserys shrugged. "But in any case, that didn't happen and not only that, you are a woman."

Rhaenerys failed to see how that was relevant to anything, seeing as many ladies ruled by themselves these days. But Viserys, ever the schemer, continued.

"Not only are you a woman, but you are unmarried no less. Not many people will want to follow an unmarried young woman."

"It's been done before," Rhaenerys retorted.

"Yes, but it will not be done here." Viserys said darkly. Rhaenerys shifted on the balls of her feet, not at all liking where this was going. "I suppose that's why this is such happy news. I just had to have you both back home to share," He smirked cruelly.

"Brother?" Daenerys looked at him with confusion, "What are you talking about? Tell us what?"

Daenerys regretted the moment she asked because Viserys had an answer that she did not like. Looking at their niece, Viserys said in the most smug voice he could muster-

"I have decided to finally make use of our niece and marry her off. Starting tomorrow, she will be promised to one of the Dothraki lords, or a fitting match in Westeros for more allies."