Chapter 21: under my wing

After dinner that night I noticed that my phone was missing and realised I must have left it at the base

Well done Chiara.

I informed Elena that I was going to get it before driving towards the base.

As I approached the training room I could hear the sound of knifes hitting the board, and upon taking a closer look I bounced it was Sam.

He went down each of the lanes and with each throw the knife landed perfectly in the centre target.

I can't lie, I'm impressed. He's a fast learner.

But what is he doing here at this time?He needs rest too. If he over does it his movements will get sloppy and he will stab himself.

I walk into the room when I stop my phone and pick it up from the finger slipping it into my pocket.

"Oh,hey" Sam says as he notices me in the room.

"Hey" I send him a soft smile "what are you doing in here, it's late?" I ask

"I know I just wanted to get some practice" he said as he uses the towel to wipe the sweat from his forehead.

"It seems to be paying off. That was impressive" I compliment.

"Thank you".

"Do you want to take a walk with me" he offers with a shy smile.

I nod and we head outside towards the track and start to walk around.

The air was cool, but I can imagine it was nice for Sam considering he will have warmed up from over training.

After a few laps we decide to sit in the middle. I place i recognise all to well, a place I spent many of night staring up at the night sky. The place where Valentino first kissed me.

"Are you and your sister close ?" I ask Sam.

"Yes" he replied as he pulls a cigarette from his pocket offering me one, which I accept "I would do anything for her" I notice the small smile that creeps into his face at the mention of his younger sister.

"So what's your story sam. Tell me who you are".

He chuckles "I'm Sam affley, I'm 18 and I chose to join the mafia, and that it really there's not a lot to tell".

I look up into Sam's eyes seeing the resemblance of a lost puppy. His eyes showed so much hurt and loss and I wished that I could take it away.

"I somehow don't believe that"my voice comes out quieter then intended.

"So you came by choice?" I asked before taking a long drag of the cigarette and tilting my head back to release the smoke.

He only nodded in response.

"Why?" I ask.

He lets out a soft sigh as he looks up at me, he looks as tho he's trying to figure me out "i need to be stronger" his voice cracks as he spoke.

"So your here for revenge?" I ask.

He looks at me, his face filling with guilt " I guess" his gaze moves to the floor.

"I did to".

He looks at me with surprise "you did?" He asks.

"Yea. I did, and i don't know you well but you remind me very much if myself, and I believe that you have a good reason as to why you want revenge" his eyes soften and I continue to speak, "can I ask who you are after ?"

He clears his throat "a man named lev popov" his face changes to one almost showing fear.

I wasn't sure if I was in any position to ask my next question but I did anyways "what did he do?"

Sam's eyes fill with tears before he turns away to wipe them "h-he" he stuttered out.

"It's okay, take your time".

He lets out a breath "he touc-hed me, and he touched Jodie, when we were younger" his voice cracks and I think I felt my hart in my feet.

"He sexually assaulted you?" I asked my eye wise but my voice soft.

Sam nodded "he told us we were weak. And we would never be able to fight back, before the ping us into a ditch after he thought he killed us. But he didn't" Sam coughs looking back at me as tears roll down his cheek.

I bring my thumb up to his face wiping the tears away "you are not weak, you are so strong you know that?" He lets out a sob as he turns his face away again. Almost trying to hide.

"I-I'm scared. I just want to protect Jodie" he whispers so quiet I almost miss it.

My heart was breaking for him.

"I know, it's okay to be scared" I spoke with my voice soft as I pulled him in for a hug.

"But I don't want to be weak" he sniffles.

"Look at me" Sam's teary green eyes look up at me "you are not weak. Scared and weak are not the same. You've been through something I could never imagine the pain of, and your doing everything you can to take your start feel safe. You are the furthest thing from weak. You are so strong and I hope that one day you can see that" he nods to be before curling back up into my embrace.

"Thank you" he mumbles.

I felt a tear slip down my cheek but I quickly wiped it away. I only heard a small part of his story but it was enough. I felt the need to protect him, this by who had his childhood taken away from him,this boy who was so heartbroken and trying to make his sister safe.

I only wish I had met him before, because once you join the mafia, there's no way out.

"I will help you".

"Huh?" He questions as he sits up.

"I will help you find him, I will help you train, and I will be your back up for when you go to kill him" I say and Sam looks shocked.

"I won't tell anyone why I'm looking for him, but your not doing it alone" I tell him.

I've decided to take him under my wing, his pain filled eyes screamed for help and that is what I would do.

"Thank you" he said as he wiped his face clean.

We shared a cigarette before swapping numbers and I headed back to Valentino's.

I was going to use all my spare time helping Sam.

He would be brought justice for the things he was put through, even if it kills me.