Chapter 44: family

It's been two weeks since Valentino got home

The doctors were hopeful that he would soon wake, and to be honest so am I. I remember the day my father brought him and Elena home, I was only young and Valentino never told me what happened to him, but he looked so broken and lost. It took a while but he recovered and became the strongest man I had ever met. My brother is a fighter.

The doctors have said that his wound will be almost painless for him now, and that he may just need the extra rest as he will be exhausted from the 'accident'.

Everyone seemed happier now that the chances of him waking are so high and hope filled the air. Even Chiara seemed to get better, she was eating properly again and talking to us all. She spent most of her time with Valentino, and the doctors showered her how to take care of him, changing his wound, bathing him and other basic hygiene.

She did it all, she took care of him in. They had a type of love that you see in movies or read in books, the type of love that never goes away. They have both been through endless trauma, and they deserve this.

He needs to wake up, if not for himself or us then for her.

I looked down at my watch and it was 10am.

I brought myself out of Valentino's office and decided to check on him and Chiara.

As I walked towards the door I could hear the sound of her voice and I couldn't help but listen when I got to the door, I pressed my ear to the door to listen to what she was saying.

"She smells like smoke and hunger. She's destroyed a room, upturned a dish of food, buried her dagger into the door."

"What are you d-" elapsed voice came from behind me and I put my finger to my lips "shh, listen" I nodded to the door and we both pressed our ears to it. "This feels wrong" she confessed. "Just listen" I whispered.

We both listened to Chiara's voice,"She was like a dog in his eyes. The food was laced with something? I ask one of the pinks".

"Is she reading to him?" She asks as we took a step away from the door.

I nodded "I think so."

"Wow, they really have it done they. He's found his person"her voice laced with emotion.

"He has" I nodded with a smile, a warm feeling filling me.

"She's saved him Angelo. She's saved our older brother" her voice cracked.

I felt my eye prick with tears and my breath became shaky "I was so scared for him you know? I thought he was going get so lost in this world, and then she came along and it was like he finally found something to live for" I felt a tear slip from my eye but I quickly wiped it away.

We have always cared for our own, but we have always done it in our own way. Chiara brought spirit to all of us, she brought nurture and a certain gentleness into our family. Something we didn't realise that we had been missing, but something we all now realise we need.