The Help

Helping people was always something that (y/n) knew she wanted to do with her life. In fact, it was honestly the thing she did best, which led to her nursing career, and even that wasn't enough sometimes. On her days off, she would give money to the homeless, donate to charity, and other random acts of kindness. Perhaps, it was the fact that (y/n) was never given that luxury within her life. She had always been a loner, moreso by choice, due to her own perception of a lack of self-worth. In other words, (y/n) felt that she did not deserve others or their own kindness; thus, leading to the overcompensation of her compassion.

As she swiped her key fob onto the break room door's pad, (y/n) walked to the fridge with her squeaky gym shoes to get her lunch before finally sitting down and eating. What a long day, she thought to herself. And it's only about halfway through. With a heavy sigh, she ate her daily peanut butter and jelly with yogurt. The break room door opened again, and in came Matthew, whom everyone called Matt. Matt was a tall man with a medium build and floppy brown hair. His hazel eyes complemented his slightly chubby face. Though (y/n) wouldn't consider the goofball her friend per se, she appreciated his sense of humor and his kindness toward her. Oftentimes they worked the same shifts, as he was her nursing supervisor.

The amount of times that (y/n) had to save Matt from both female and male patients flirting with him was laughable, since Matthew was attractive by most people's standards. There are a handful of nurses and technicians alike who tease both (y/n) and Matt every now and then about what more their relationship could entail. It wasn't that (y/n) was bothered by the idea of a prospective romantic relationship with Matthew, it was just... well, she frankly feels she operates better by herself. That, and of course there is the looming poor self-esteem that (y/n) feels on a daily basis. How could she accept the idea that someone as amazing as Matthew would be interested in her? Thus, they were simply like-minded close acquaintances in (y/n)'s eyes.

With a tired smile on her face, (y/n) nodded at Matthew as she continued to eat her yogurt. Matthew frequently tried to line his break up with (y/n)'s, although sometimes it didn't quite work out the way he wanted. As he looked at her with kind eyes and a cheeky smile, he began the conversation first.

"Long day, huh? Earlier Marissa spilled a bunch of supplies all over the ER and it took ages to pick it all up." (Y/n) laughed softly and shook her head while looking down.

"I wish I could talk, but you know that I'm probably more clumsy than Marissa, and that's saying a lot." Matt chuckled and turned his gaze towards his own lunch/dinner (as it was getting late at night) to microwave.

"Well, you know that I actually find that trait of yours to be quite funny." (Y/n) found herself grinning at the compliment and simply continued to eat. As Matthew's food beeped, he moved to sit across from the (h/c) girl. He continued the conversation.

"So, have you heard about the lack of progress for the organ investigation? I know you're a huge fan of this true crime stuff, so I'm curious for your take on it." He politely stared at the girl, waiting for her answer. (Y/n) stopped chewing her food momentarily to gather her thoughts.

"Are you meaning to tell me they still haven't caught whoever is doing this? That is so disappointing, honestly." Matt simply smiled.

"I knew you'd say something like that. Last night, another ambulance crashed and, sure enough, drivers left unharmed with organs stolen. I just don't get it. I mean, sure, I get there's a black market for this type of thing, but why only target organ transfers within this area? I mean, you'd think the guy would be worried about getting caught in such a small area."

"Or girl. You never really know," (y/n) added in a serious tone. Matt smirked at her.

"Yeah, you're definitely right about that." (Y/n) got up and pushed her chair in before throwing away her trash. Turning towards Matthew, who was already looking at her from behind his shoulder, she waved him a goodbye before leaving the room and returning to her duties. As she entered an elevator, she bit the inside of her cheeks as she pondered the mysterious organ burglar.

It was especially a strange situation since none of this started up until 2 weeks ago. In the first instance, the burglar had actually managed to somehow enter the hospital itself while appearing blurred in all of the cameras. Almost as if the suspect had been able to alter the footage. From there, the suspect had been able to knock a worker unconscious, who had a kidney that was due for transplant within his possession, and steal the organ.

By the time the worker came to, he had no memory of what had happened or the suspect. This was during one of (y/n)'s shifts, which had been terrifying in itself, though she could not recall seeing anything sketchy or anyone that looked out of place. The police investigation didn't find anything of note either. It was almost as if this person had just... vanished without a trace. There was nothing (y/n) hated more than an unsolved case, after all. Ever since that first burglary, there have been several reports over the past couple weeks of the same occurrence, only this time from ambulances transferring organs. It worried (y/n) slightly because, although there haven't been any known murders around this area, her shifts still ended at night. She typically had Matthew walk her out to her car, but when he wasn't available, she just had to make-do with the pepperspray attached to her keychain.

Well, that was only part of her worries. You see, (Y/n) had a looming suspicion; rather, a paranoia seeping into every crevice of her being ever since the first burglary. She couldn't help but feel as though someone had been watching her, following her everywhere she went. Although she had no proof of this, every time she left the hospital and went home, it was as though someone was creeping their way into her life slowly but surely. (Y/n)'s thoughts were interrupted as the elevator opened. Pushing her worries to the back of her head, (y/n) continued with her shift.

Author's Note: Hi! Thanks for reading my fanfiction. I promise this will get better, so please stick around for this crazy ride!