The Seekers

*3:55 PM*

Stopping at a store, (Y/n) went inside with some cash to buy a phone in order to better locate smaller businesses or abandoned buildings. It was either this or driving around for the entirety of their very small window of time with the sole purpose of finding a needle in a haystack. Granted, they still needed to utilize their time as best as possible, but this way they could at least sleep instead of staying up all day and night looking for the hideout. Opening the car and pulling the phone out of the shopping bag, (Y/n) immediately began opening up the box and setting up the phone. “Give me 5 to 10 minutes and I’ll hopefully have this thing set up enough to do the basics of what we need.” Jack nodded and patiently waited. After about 15 minutes, (Y/n) smiled victoriously as she held it up. “Okay, first things first, we should look into abandoned properties near us right here. If we see somewhere that’s not listed on a site like Zillow or something, then we can stop there too.” Jack started up the car and began following (Y/n)’s directions to each property.

 *5:00 PM*

 “Ugh, you’ve got to be kidding me. Not a single reliable lead so far.” (Y/n) sighed dramatically as she rested her head on her arm while looking out the window.

 Jack smiled and giggled as he looked over at his passenger. “I did warn you that this was how it was going to be. Belden is not a small town, and the radius that you have is pretty significant. Look at it this way, we’ve maybe gone through about 10% of it within a day, and that’s not bad at all.”

 (Y/n) looked at Jack and smiled, before leaning in to kiss his cheek while he continued to drive, making him blush. “I appreciate you calming me down. At this next light, take a left. And then we should arrive at a small gun shop.”

 As the (Y/n) entered the gun store alone (due to Jack’s mask) she nervously made eye contact with an extremely buff man tattooed on his face and arms. Giggling in an attempt to lighten up the mood and calm her nerves, the girl stuttered out, “H-hi. I’m looking to buy a gun.” Rubbing her arms, the woman could feel an odd sensation as the man’s heartless eyes looked away from hers and towards the guns on the wall behind him.

 “As you can see here, we have a variety you can choose from. Are you experienced with firearms, or did you want something smaller with a little less kickback?”

(Y/n) approached the man and pretended to look closely at the guns. “I am not experienced, I suppose I’d be looking for a handgun, right?” The man nodded before getting one off the wall for the woman to look at more closely. As the man held it out in his hands, (Y/n) tuned him out entirely as she noticed a tattoo on his left wrist. Justice was plainly where she could see it. The chances of it meaning anything at all are beyond slim to none… still, I have to follow any and every lead possible. As he held it out for the girl to hold, she feigned a smile with appreciation. Aiming it towards the gun wall, she pretended to be genuinely interested in the gun itself, before putting it back down on the table. “I guess what I’m looking for is something basic with self-defense properties.” Subtly testing the waters, the woman continued while staring at him intently. “After all, you reap what you sow, right?” The man seemed to hold his breath and widen his eyes slightly, before regaining his composure. “Sometimes, we need to take justice into our own hands, especially since it fails us all too often.”

 The man raised his eyebrow at her before looking around the store to ensure no one else was there. With gritted teeth, the man responded, “What ever could you mean, Miss?” (Y/n) blankly stared at him, heart pounding in her chest as her breathing became slightly deeper.

Though it was a shot in the dark, the woman could not ignore the very obvious behavior changes in his body language. This could turn dangerous very quickly if I say the wrong thing… do I risk it anyways, or do I drop it? No… if I do that, we may as well have stayed in the mansion for the rest of our lives. We said it in the car, it’s do or die. All or nothing. Crossing her arms and relaxing her stance to ensure the man did not perceive her as a threat, she quietly responded to him at last. “All I’m saying is that I find Reapers of Justice very admirable. I wish there were more in this world.”

The man leaned across the counter and whispered. “Listen, I don’t know who you are or why you’re here. It seems you’re a supporter of those that are Reapers, and if that is the case, there must be a reason why you came to this town.”

(Y/n) confidently looked the man in the eyes, now feeling safe enough to where she believed he would not harm her. “Indeed,” the woman whispered back, “I have information for them. I must know where I can find them.”

The gun shop owner narrowed his eyes suspiciously at her. “How do I know you can be trusted?”

I can’t leave here without what I came for. I can’t let Jack down. “I know where and who almost killed the woman in Belden several years ago. I can help them find the monsters they have been seeking.” The man widened his eyes before nodding in acceptance. Reaching behind him, he tore a piece of paper from a notebook sitting on a table. Writing a phone number down, the man folded it up and gave it to her, before shooing her away. Confusion wore itself on (Y/n)’s face as Jack watched the girl open the car door silently.

“You were in there for a long time, what happened?”

(Y/n) furrowed her eyebrows at Jack. “I can’t really explain, but he gave me a phone number that I should call.” Holding it up to Jack, he eyed the paper suspiciously.

 “What now? We call the number and go?”

 (Y/n) shook her head as she bit the inside of her cheek anxiously. “No, Jack. I call the number and I go.” Before Jack could protest, (Y/n) interrupted him. “You can’t go anywhere near the Reapers, Jack. They will definitely kill you, or at least hold you hostage for the rest of your days. Here’s the plan --- you go find somewhere to stay for the night, and I take the car after calling the number and meet with them.”

 Jack grabbed (Y/n)’s hands shakily. “No, it’s too dangerous. I… I can’t lose you again, (Y/n). I just got you back.” (Y/n) gently shook Jack’s hand off her right hand and softly caressed his cheek.

“I know, Jack. You just have to trust me. Trust that I will be okay. Remember? It’s do or die.” Jack looked down solemnly as he nodded. He knew that this was what needed to be done. Acceptance was the most difficult part, and even thinking about the idea of having to grieve (Y/n)’s death made Jack extremely irrational and emotional. She was right, though, he would need to trust her for this to work. Breaking from their embrace, (Y/n) took the piece of paper that had landed on her lap and took out the phone she had recently bought. “Now, let’s call this number and see who or what it is. Remember, stay quiet.” Jack nodded, and both braced themselves for every possibility as the phone rang repeatedly. Finally, a click was heard and silence presented itself on the other end of the call.