The Lover

*11:22 PM*

Yawning while stretching her limbs, (Y/n) held the sheets close to her body, covering up her bare skin. Turning over to look at a sleeping Jack, (Y/n) smiled before lightly stroking Jack's bare shoulder. Last night had cemented their feelings for one another, even though (Y/n) had yet to officially say it out loud. Why can't I just say it? Maybe because she knew if she said it, then it would become real. Deciding to get some air, the girl put her clothes on from the day prior before stepping out into the moonlight, quietly so as not to wake Jack.

Two rocking chairs were conveniently located right outside their room, one of which (Y/n) chose to occupy. The wind picked up a bit as she looked at the stars, hearing the crickets surrounding her and trees moving. She sighed in contentment, feeling satisfied for the first time since she could remember. Maybe things could work with Jack... after all, I'm really happy with him, he loves me, and... I think I may... feel the same. Pinching the bridge of her nose, (Y/n) began to scold herself mentally. Come on, still can't admit it to yourself? I know he said he didn't mind if I never felt the same way, but... what if I can't admit it to both him and myself on time and it's too late?

Hearing the door to their room open, she looked over to find Jack smiling lovingly at her before sitting in the rocking chair next to hers. "Good morning, beautiful." (Y/n) giggled before holding his hand in hers as a response. They both began admiring the constellations before them, hearing the sounds of nature while feeling serenenity wash over them. "You know, I didn't want to tell you, but when you were asleep earlier I had another memory." Jack chuckled before continuing. "It's kind of funny, actually. I was never supposed to remember anything from my human life because my boss erased them all. Ever since I met you, I've been occasionally remembering bits and pieces."

Feeling the atmosphere shift to a more emotional state, (Y/n) squeezed Jack's hand in reassurance as she continued to stare at the sky before them. Jack smiled a bit before continuing. "I know the full extent of why I don't trust people, why I hate humans, and why I don't believe in promises. Of course, I don't know everything, but I know enough." Jack's voice cracked. "When I was a senior in college, I was sort of a loner. One day, this girl offered to hang out with me with a bunch of her friends. I was excited. I mean, finally, a chance to get real friends. The night we hung out, they took me into the woods when it was pitch black. I asked the girl if we could turn back because I was worried. She promised me I would be safe. She lied."

Jack had begun to cry as tar dripped from his eyes, him wiping the substance away as (Y/n) continued to listen. "I don't remember much, but I remember them being in a cult. They had lured me there purposefully, with the goal of sacrificing me to the demons they believed in. When I woke up... I had killed all of them and ate some of their kidneys. It was like... I had no control." (Y/n) got up from her chair before sitting in Jack's lap, hugging him as he cried into her embrace. "I don't want to be that person anymore, (Y/n). You made me realize that. You made me believe in promises and human beings again. I love you for that." Jack hugged the girl tight, making her feel safe and comforted.

After Jack was able to calm down, (Y/n) gave him a peck on the lips while cupping his cheeks, smiling as she pulled away. "Thank you for telling me. I'm happy you trust me." After talking about nothing and everything at once for a while, (Y/n) decided to go back in and shower. In the meantime, Jack continued to sit in the rocking chair with his eyes closed. I couldn't be happier than I am right now. Several minutes later, rustling could be heard among the trees, causing Jack to feel alarmed. It's late at night... there's no way anyone is coming to spend the night. Suddenly, a small figure emerged that sniffed the ground. Jack leaned forward, attempting to distinguish what it could possibly be, before his eyes widened incredulously. Crouching down, Jack slowly opened the door to their room, before ensuring the creature hadn't seen or heard him and shutting it calmly. Pounding on the bathroom door, (Y/n) opened the door fully dressed and ready. "What is it, Jack? What's wrong?"

Covering the girl's mouth so she wouldn't speak further, Jack whispered slowly so she could understand. "We need to leave. Now. There's a dog out there and he belongs to Jeff. They are here and they are searching for us." (Y/n) eyes widened as she fought against the hyperventilation she began to feel. "Before we move, I need you to promise me something. Promise me you will not look at the dog's face. I'm also going to need to carry you."

Taking Jack's hand off her mouth, the girl asked in a whisper, "Why do you need to carry me?"

"Because I have superhuman speed and so do they. You don't. If we have any chance of getting out of here, we're going to need to be as quiet and quick as possible." The woman nodded, prepared to face the creatures head on. "One more thing --- the dog has insane hearing abilities. We need to do everything as quietly as possible." The two began gathering their belongings and shoving them into the backpack, before Jack slowly creeped to the window to peep through the blinds. Smile Dog was still in the same spot, sniffing around while observing his surroundings. Jack closed the blind before Smile Dog could see him.

"How did they find us? I mean, we're so far from town and we were supposed to be days ahead of them." Jack nodded at (Y/n)'s question.

"Smile Dog is a professional tracker. It's likely that he is a tiny bit ahead of the rest of them. I doubt it's much though. We need to leave now." As Jack paused while trying to think of a plan, he realized how short he came up. How are we supposed to escape when Smile Dog will see us without a doubt the second we open the door... Jack decided to go with the plan with the least amount of injury involved. "Okay, (Y/n). Here's what I need you to do. I'm going to open this door and distract Smile Dog. When I say 'go', I need you to run immediately to the left. Don't worry about me, I will find you. We can't take the car, it's too risky for you to go past Smile Dog. I'll try to get the car if I can, but it's very likely I'll need to carry you on foot. Got it?"

The woman nodded, displaying a clear sense of worry. Before Jack could open the door, (Y/n) hugged him tightly as if it were their last chance. When they parted, the two gave each other a look of trust and determination, before (Y/n) stepped back and allowed Jack to open the door, inviting fate to determine everything.

Author's Note: They were found. In case you didn't know, Smile Dog's powers (such as mind manipulation and causing delusions in others) is activated only when eye contact is made. What do we think is going to happen next?! 😱