The Watcher

Author's Note: Play the song above at any time. This is what is playing from the car radio later in the chapter. Happy Thanksgiving!

Adrenaline seemed to be the only thing motivating his willpower and drive to continue through his and (Y/n)'s journey. Jack couldn't admit this to her, but he found his eyelids closing at times, before jolting back open upon realization that he could not stop here. He heard (Y/n)'s crying and groaning at times and comforted her slightly with a soft and caring shush. He felt bad, but he simply couldn't stop and treat her wounds quite yet. For Jeff's coordinates were so far in the wilderness that he needed to find safe cover for the both of them before being able to put his medical knowledge to use. There was yet another problem at hand, however. In addition to traveling for about two hours now from the abandoned warehouse, Jack couldn't be sure that his captive wouldn't attempt to escape him when he inevitably collapsed from exhaustion. Though he'd like to think she wouldn't do this at this point in time, he couldn't be sure, and definitely couldn't let his guard down.

Feeling his shoulder not healing was yet another concern. It should've healed by now, but with his health not in the greatest of places, it was quite possible that he literally did not have the energy left in his body to be able to do so. Nightfall was also coming quite fast, which was worrying Jack as there was no shelter he knew of that he could go to. What was he to do now? Surely, he couldn't go back to the mansion at this point with (Y/n). The cat was bound to be out of the bag, and he knew that Jeff was going to tell Slenderman and the proxies of his adventure with Jack. He could feel one of her legs he was holding shaking, probably from both the cold and the injury itself that was pressing itself against Jack's arm. As he continued to walk while huffing heavily, he decided to talk to the girl for the first time in a while.

"I had no idea it was going to turn out this way, (Y/n). I know we haven't had a chance to talk about this a lot, but please hang in there. I'm going to try to find a place for us to rest up before figuring things out." He received a simple groan in response. I probably deserve that. Probably pain, tiredness and anger mixed together. Jack halted in his tracks before grinning and walking a bit faster. A gas station up ahead, perfect. I can probably hotwire a car. Sneaking up to the side of the building, (Y/n) whispered to Jack.

"What are we doing here? Aren't you worried I'm going to escape?" Jack gave her the side eye over his shoulder before scoffing.

"I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the chances of you escaping me are even less than before with those injuries. Trust me, I have a plan." He could feel (Y/n) shaking her head.

"Trust you?" Jack had no words in response, simply choosing to stay reserved. Finding a beat-up car on the side, Jack looked around in the darkness of the night, ensuring there were no witnesses, before proceeding to put (Y/n) down on the sidewalk. Letting out a cry of agony, (Y/n) began to shake while holding her leg and stomach. Jack quickly covered her mouth with his hand.

"I know it hurts, but you have to stay quiet. I have to break into this car, and I can't do that if you keep crying," Jack whispered into the woman's ear. Upon pulling away, Jack witnessed the girl crying, but nodding in agreeance with what he was saying. Pulling the backpack off the ground from where he dropped it, he began rummaging through the various items within it. Food for (Y/n), medical supplies... ah, there it is. (Y/n) saw Jack pull out a large piece of wire, looking like it was already bent from a different car that was broken into.

He must have experience with this sort of thing. I guess he sort of anticipated the situation from the start, and what escape might look like. In a weird way, I suppose that's... is thoughtful the word? (Y/n) continued to watch Jack as he worked his magic on the car. Hearing a loud click is all it took for the both of them to know that it had been successful. As (Y/n) continued to fight herself to be quiet due to her injuries, Jack was having another battle with hot wiring the car. After several minutes, he was able to do so. Turning towards (Y/n), she looked up at him and nodded, knowing that he was silently asking to pick her up to put her in the car. Do I love being on the run with a kidnapper? Well... no, but honestly, what are my other options? He told me he has medical knowledge and he hasn't lied thus far. How else am I supposed to heal and get energy? Maybe after he heals me... I can look for a way to escape. Softly picking her up bridal style, Jack brought her to the passenger side before opening the squeaky door and putting her in, shutting it quickly right behind her. Jack put the backpack in the back of the car before getting in and successfully driving away with the stolen vehicle.

Though he didn't know where he was going, he knew anywhere but there was satisfactory for the both of them. Though it was unspoken, he could only imagine what she went through with Jeff. The dirty digital radio read 8:21 PM, though it clearly looked way darker than that since fall had arrived. The darkness consumed the both of them, just as a maze swallowed a mouse whole. Their futures were unknown, but as Jack looked over at the girl with matted hair and dried up tears, he knew that he would protect her no matter what the stakes were.

Clearing his throat while focusing on the highway roads before him, Jack finally chose to break the silence. "What did Jeff do to you?" Silence presented itself in a hostile way, and Jeff could feel the pain surrounding (Y/n)'s very being. He didn't dare look over, for he knew that she had started crying. Sniffling filled the sounds of his ears. He hadn't expected her to speak but was surprised when she did.

"Umm... I really don't think you want to know. Just a lot of mind games, you know? I still don't know what he was looking for." Jack gripped the steering wheel just a bit tighter, feeling the already flaking foam of it crumbling even further. It wasn't as simple as mind games, Jeff was never simple and Jack knew this. Whatever he had done, (Y/n) severely downplayed it. But why? For his own sake so that he wouldn't feel so guilty? Well, regardless, it was too late for that. Guilt and doubt crippled him as he fell down the rabbit hole deeper and deeper. Full of possibilities of what he could've done differently, Jack simply nodded, knowing that the girl was looking to him for validation that her answer was good enough. For now, it really was. He would get the details sooner or later. So, for now, Jack turned the radio up just a bit, determined to engulf the half-truth with something pleasant for once. Miles and miles were ahead of them still, waiting for the two to travel through.