The Extrovert

Trudging through the woods with branches crunching underneath Jack’s boots, Cody and Jack silently made their way towards their destination, with Cody being a guide. It had been a solid 2 hours, which made Jack start to question his decision to assist Cody with this seemingly pointless mission. “How much longer?” Cody turned to Jack and smiled cheekily. Jack rolled his eyes as he looked away begrudgingly. It wasn’t that Jack didn’t like Cody; sometimes, extreme introverts and extreme extroverts simply didn’t mix, and this was one of those times. Jack found Cody much too energetic and talkative for his own liking. Looking back at Cody to find him already staring at him with a thrilled grin on his face was only further proof of this.

 “Hmm… I’d say about 5 more hours.” 

 Jack halted in his tracks, staring at Cody incredulously. “5 more fucking hours?!” Cody stopped and pouted at Jack, trying to childishly get his way. Jack crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at the man-child before him. This may work on Toby and the girls, but it won’t work on me. “Why is it 5 more hours to simply gather supplies that you could easily get from closer warehouses or hospitals?” Cody’s lips pressed into a thin line as he nervously looked everywhere but at Jack. This caused Jack to feel suspicion. Cody has very obvious ticks when he lies or gets nervous. What could’ve caused him to take me on a wild goose chase with him? Jack uncrossed his arms and got close to Cody, causing Cody to put his back to a tree and trap himself. As Jack got close enough to put their noses nearly together, he glared into Cody’s eyes menacingly. Of course, Jack would never actually harm Cody. That would be similar to harming a child. The truth was all he really wanted. As Jack tilted his head, he could see the sweat beads beginning to form on Cody’s forehead. “Want to tell me what’s up?”

 Cody gulped and began to scratch his neck as he giggled, more signs that this mission was not truly why he had taken Jack out of the mansion. “Yeah… about that. Maybe I’m not the best person to ask, why don’t you go ask Hoodie?” Jack narrowed his eyes at Cody again, still not feeling satisfied at his answer. Putting his arm aggressively above Cody’s head on the tree, Cody jumped in terror at the sudden movement; a clear threat to tell the real truth, or else. “Okay, okay! It was to get you out of the mansion so (Y/n) could start her training!” Cody quickly covered his mouth, disappointed in his inability to keep a secret. 

 Jack gave him a confused look. “Now, why would they need me out of the mansion in order for (Y/n) to begin her training?” 

 Cody waved his hands in the air sporadically, feeling his nerves taking over his body. “I’ve already said too much! You can’t tell anyone I told you this, he will kill me!”

 “Anyone? So, everyone knows besides me and probably (Y/n)?” Cody shrieked nervously before running straight ahead, leaving Jack to his own vices and thoughts. He clearly told me way more than he intended to… there’s definitely a secret that everyone doesn’t want us to know, us being me and that human. What could it be? Could it have to do with me feeling like we’ve met before? With a frustrated sigh, Jack began to sprint back to the mansion. I’ll respect Cody’s wishes for me to not mention anything, but only because if I did, it’s likely my memories may get erased before I can know the truth. Coming to a rapid halt, Jack began to think of what may happen if he were to go back early. If I go back now without Cody, what would that symbolize? Plus, if there really is a secret that both myself and the human girl don’t know, what if me going back early ends up being catastrophic to her? Jack hit himself in the head hard. What the fuck is wrong with me? Why would I care what happens to her? A sudden migraine pierced Jack’s head like a hammer, causing Jack to crumble to the ground below him as he experienced a flashback. 

 A vivid image of Jack looking down at his hand entered his mind, as he took off his black glove that he wore even in his sleep. As it slipped off, Jack’s thoughts from that time entered his mind. “If I’m not successful… the results will be catastrophic to her.” The image of the flashback became extremely blurry as he attempted to look up at the scene before him, simply seeing two distorted figures; one standing close to the other (who looked to be hanging) while pointing something at the figure’s stomach. The flashback ended as fast as it had started, Jack holding his head in pain as squeezed his eyelids shut tight. What… was that? Was that a memory? Jack took his mask off as he stared up at the sun above that was slowly going down, allowing both arms to flop at his sides. As he continued to stare at the darkening sky, he wondered what memory that had been and why it had been gone. It wasn’t from his human days, as he had seen his ungloved claw be exposed. The only reason why Jack knew for a fact that it had been a memory, was the tar-filled tears running down his face, cementing his unexplainable emotions surrounding whatever had occurred that day. As he sobbed without knowing or understanding why, Jack vowed to himself that he would find the truth, even if it killed him.