The Trespassers

1:56 AM:

At long last, Jack had gotten off the highway and gone through several dirt roads, before successfully finding a house that had been abandoned. Inside the house were various random items, raggedy furniture (including a bed and couch), and cupboards with questionable food contained within them (which Jack had decided he was not willing to risk for (Y/n)). The two walked around while squinting, attempting to see without light; as they walked through the home with boards creaking beneath their feet, Jack acknowledged the coldness within the home. It seemed to not be abandoned for long, resulting in him being slightly concerned about potential people coming back while they were there, though Jack knew that they wouldn't be staying for long and would have to change locations consistently so they wouldn't get caught. As (Y/n) looked around the home, Jack pulled out a pair of handcuffs out of the backpack. Turning around to meet his eyeline, (Y/n) glared at the item in his hands.

"Oh come on. The chances of me running away are so slim. I don't even know where we are or how I would survive." Tilting his head while looking at her still, Jack gave (Y/n) a look of expectance. Rolling her eyes, (Y/n) gave him her wrists, before he unexpectedly put one around her and the other around himself. Giving him a confused look, (Y/n) decided to inquire. "You're not going to tie me to anything?" Jack gestured throughout the house before looking back at her.

"Where would I tie you to? There's nothing sturdy that I would trust to hold you." (Y/n) nodded in understanding.

"Okay, well that's understandable. Well, now that we're here, can you please get some sleep? You look like death." Jack glared at her tiny smirk that was forming from her humor.

"Like you look any better." (Y/n) laughed a little, before tugging on the handcuffs and leading Jack to the bedroom. Upon reaching it and looking at the bed, the two awkwardly stood before it, unsure of what to do.

"So... elephant in the room. We're going to have to share this if you want me handcuffed to you." Jack awkwardly scratched his neck with his left hand, the one that was not in a cuff.

"I'm fine with it if you are. We don't really have any other choice. I guess if you're that uncomfortable with it, I can always go without sleep for one more-"

"No way. You're going to get sleep at this point whether you like it or not." Jack looked at the girl, realizing that she was not going to budge. She's so stubborn sometimes. Without another word, Jack took his shoes off and began to get into the bed, leading (Y/n) alongside him. Within the darkness, they both got underneath the musky knitted blanket and laid on their backs in silence. After several minutes, Jack needed to put his mind at some sort of ease for the night. Bravely, he brought up what was on his mind.

"(Y/n)?" Feeling her shift next to him, he could barely see her silhouette in the dark.

"Yes, Jack?" Staring at the ceiling, he could feel his heart racing at the close proximity the two were at with one another.

"What did Jeff mean back at the warehouse when he said he was right, and you were wrong? About me coming, I mean." Stillness surrounded the area. (Y/n) bit her cheek in contemplation. Would it make things weird if I said the truth? I don't even know how to explain it, really. Deciding that it was worth the potential confusion and awkwardness, she decided to respond.

"I... well, basically, he asked me to bet on if you would come for me. It was odd, it wasn't really a bet. More like I just had to guess. I told him I thought with about 90% certainty that you wouldn't come for me." (Y/n) chuckled awkwardly after Jack didn't respond. "I was really sure you wouldn't come for me, but Jeff insisted that he knew you would. He would never tell me why." Jack stared at the ceiling; eyes trained on the patterns of chipped paint. More shuffling was felt beside him. "Can I ask a question now?" (Y/n) took Jack's lack of response for a 'yes.' "Why did Jeff keep saying something about you having feelings for me?" Time seemed to stop as Jack's breath got caught in his throat. He could feel his heart beating with such vigor; hands were sweating and Jack caught himself fidgeting with the knitted blanket.

"I don't know why he would say that. We should get some sleep." (Y/n) could feel that Jeff had turned over on his side without even looking, signifying that their conversation was indeed over. Although she couldn't pinpoint why, she could feel her heart and stomach sink like a ship; her feelings surrounding Jack stayed anonymous, almost as if her mind and heart shared a secret that she could never know or understand.

Author's Note: Double upload ends here. I'll probably do one again around Christmas time. See you in 2 weeks!