The Pessimist

*Please play song above throughout chapter. If it ends before the chapter, please play it again to set the tone.*

*16 1/2 hours ago*

Jack stood impatiently in Toby's room, leg shaking out of unhappiness. A meeting was being held currently between Toby, Jack and Jeff regarding a mission. Toby had informed Jack that Jeff would be his partner within this particular mission, in order to steal hospital supplies, weapons and ammunitions from several different buildings. Rage would be an understatement for Jack's feelings; Jeff, on the other hand, was cackling over the humor he found in Jack's pissed off look. He knew Jack hated him, and to be perfectly honest, he wasn't a fan of Jack either. Others' misery always made Jeff feel a sense of thrill, however, so it was almost like a give and take. They both began to pack their backpacks with materials, weapons, and the blueprints they needed to succeed in the mission before walking out the door.

"Wait up, partner! Don't you want to discuss strategy?" Jeff smiled creepily at Jack, who was attempting to walk far ahead of Jeff in avoidance.

"I don't want to talk about shit with you. Shut the fuck up and let's do this mission so I can get away from you." Jeff chortled loudly and obnoxiously as he put his arm around Jack's shoulder, resulting in Jack roughly pushing him off.

"Alright, I'll make a deal with you. If you tell me what you've been hiding, I'll leave you alone. Not only that, I'll actually do the entire mission myself and let you take equal credit." Jack glared at Jeff and walked faster, choosing to stay silent. Jeff roughly giggled under his breath. So this is how it's going to be, huh?

*16 hours later*

As the two enemies walked away into the night from the nearly destroyed building, Jack checked his watch and found it was nearly 3 in the morning. Fuck, if I would've known it was going to take this long, I would've given her food to hold her over until I got back. I need to hurry.

"In a hurry, Jacky? Why is that?" Jack looked over and observed Jeff smiling in a way that would make anyone frightened.

"Shut the fuck up and mind your business. I'm tired and want to go to sleep. Now leave me alone and let's go back."

"I really want to know what's in your basement." Jack stopped dead in his tracks while listening to Jeff speak behind him. "Why don't you enlighten me on what that is? Or, rather, whom?" Jack lowered his head in annoyance before turning around and meeting Jeff's eye-line. I don't have time for this. I need to go see her. Jeff walked closer to Jack and continued to speak. "Oh? So my hunch was correct, was it? Who's down there, Jack, and why are you hiding them?" Jack scowled at Jeff before turning back around and continuing to walk.

"You don't know what you're talking about, Jeff. Mind your fucking business. Let's go." Jeff had other plans, however, which resulted in Jeff walking in front of Jack and pushing him with a hand on Jack's chest.

"Not so fast. Tell me what's in the basement." Jack narrowed his eyes in hatred.

"Or what?" Jeff snickered further. Jack pushed passed Jeff roughly and continued on his way. Deciding that he was far from satisfied, Jeff took a mallet from inside his bag and hit Jack on the head, resulting in Jack getting knocked out.

"Fucking idiot. No one tells me no." Jeff laughed as he slung Jack's body effortlessly over his shoulder and brought him back to the building they had just raided. Deciding this is where he'd put Jack, Jeff tied him up to a bench with a knot using rope they had brought. Lighting a match, Jeff set fire to the wood bench before leaving the scene behind him. With a gloved hand, Jeff reached into his pant pocket and pulled out the set of keys he had stolen from Jack. "Well now, we're about to figure this out, aren't we?" An evil grin plastered itself on Jeff's pale face as he continued on his journey back to the mansion. Although Jack won't die, it'll take him a while to wake back up. And when he does... it'll be too late.

*5 minutes later*

Coughing filled the air as Jack began to groan in pain. A splitting headache took over Jack's senses, as did the smoke in the air. Opening his eyes quickly after remembering the events that had transpired prior to this, Jack attempted to stand up, only to find himself restrained by the rope tying him to the wood bench. Fuck, this hurts. Jack was currently on fire and needed a way to escape. After several minutes of rough struggling, Jack finally was able to slip a wrist out, resulting in him untying the rest of his body. Once he was free, he observed his burnt skin on his arms and legs. All well, it'll have to wait. I have to get back to (Y/n). Jack winced, grabbing his backpack off the ground and reaching for his pocket to grab his keys, before realizing that they were gone. With widened eyes, Jack began to panic. Oh no... no, no no, no, no. As Jack went to run with his unusual speed, he found himself flinching and grabbing at his burnt flesh on his legs. Fuck... I need to push through this. Limping as fast as he could, Jack continued to his destination as if his life depended on it.

After an excruciating journey, Jack reached the mansion at long last, barging in as fast as he possibly could, still gripping his legs. As Clockwork began descending the stairs, she looked at Jack in disgust.

"Holy fuck, what happened to you-"

"There's no time," Jack breathed out as he ignored her and continued to limp towards the infirmary. After reaching it and opening the door, Jack winced as sweat beads began to drip down his face and onto the floor. The gate was open. Limping towards it as quickly as possible, Jack swung it open further before beginning to go down the stairs, resulting in him tripping and falling. As he collapsed to the bottom, he found his vision getting blurry, but knew he couldn't stop. Grabbing the rough texture on the walls to support himself, Jack barely had the strength to stand on his feet. Although he healed at a very quick rate, it wasn't fast enough for immediate relief. With a quivering hand, Jack grabbed the handle of the metal door, swinging it open bravely. His eyes met with an entirely desolate room, no sign of life remaining other than a folded up notebook on the ground. Dropping to his knees, Jack found himself trembling as he brought his hands up to his hair. Tar-filled tears dropped to the ground, staining the very place he sat. And, for the first time since he was no longer human, Jack's broken sobs filled the foreboding room that had betrayed him- the very walls meant to protect her.

Author's Note: When I wrote this chapter, I actually got a tiny bit emotional. 🙈