The Negotiator

(Y/n) wasn't sure how much longer she could stand where she was before her legs simply failed her and collapsed. They were shaking so intensely that she was more than certain the man before her could see how nervous she was. More than this, she was exhausted and terrified. Despite this, she was resolute on wanting to stand as tall as she could; being as unyielding as she could possibly be seemed to be the only power she currently had. She could tell that he was desperately awaiting her answer to his question. Maybe, hopefully, she would get more information if she went along with what he asked her. Perhaps, she could even reason with him and try to get him to let her go. As the man turned completely around to look at her properly, the girl folded her arms while shivering.

"I meant what I said. I have my answer." His head tilted out of curiosity, a habit she had observed him to have any time he was inquisitive.

"What is your answer?" (Y/n) gulped as she heard his cool voice ask the question. What if my answer isn't good enough for him? No... if I don't take this risk, I'd be better off dead. I have to try. You can do this, (Y/n).

"My ultimate reason for living... umm, it's kind of complicated, actually." The girl softly laughed at her nervous response. "Well... my reason for living is to help other people want to live."

Jack felt a strange sensation fill his entire body. A strong cocktail of nervousness, revelation, and perplexity flowed through his veins, making his heart race. Jack knew he needed a better understanding to be able to dissect his feelings properly.

"Please, explain." The girl shifted uncomfortably on her feet as he continued to stare at her, unwavering.

"W-well, like I said before, it's kind of complicated. I don't know, I guess I just want people to be happy. I want people to live good lives and to do things that they love. Everyone deserves happiness, so if there's ever anything I can do to help them or make them feel good, I do my best." Jack was stunned. This type of response was unexpected and now he didn't know how to respond. He found himself wanting to know and understand more and more, oddly enough.

"Why bother helping others when they can and will stab you in the back? Why not live for yourself instead?"

"I think you misunderstand me. You see, to me it doesn't matter if they stab me in the back. I am living for myself everyday by helping others and doing everything I can for them." Jack felt himself getting dizzy. I can't take this heavy conversation at 6 in the morning, I need time to think, understand, and think of a response. "Can you please tell me your name?" Jack looked at the girl, seeing for the first time since she arrived to the mansion a glimpse of hope written on her face. She is so readable, it's dangerous.

"Jack." He found himself focusing on her small smile that formed after he introduced himself for the first time. For some reason he could not fathom, he found himself comforted, almost as though she were a blanket on a freezing cold day. Like she was the antidote for a rabid disease.

"Thank you, Jack. For telling me your name, for making me food, for taking me to the bathroom. Thank you." Jack laughed softly as he shook his head in disbelief. Upon making eye contact with the girl once again, he couldn't help but to ask her what he had been thinking from the start.

"Explain to me why you've been so damn kind this entire time. Don't you know that I kidnapped and took you hostage?" He could see her eyes had softened, looking less and less afraid as their conversation went on.

"Respectfully, I don't know your story. I don't know why you're doing this, but maybe you have a reason. I really do hope you'll let me go, I'm only trying to understand you the best I possibly can." Jack found himself beyond baffled, and couldn't control his emotions any longer. Walking swiftly up to the girl, Jack got as close to her as he could. (Y/n), feeling startled, shrieked in terror as she fell to the floor and crawled as far away from him as possible. The chain pulled on her hands and ankles as she began crying hysterically. Jack crouched down in front of her and brought his face down near hers a mere few inches away.

"Does this scare you? You shouldn't be so trusting. People will take advantage of you. What if I was one of those people?"

"I-I'm so so sorry. I didn't m-mean to offend you. Please don't kill me. I'm so sorry." Jack's eyes widened at what he had done upon watching the girl bring her arms up to cover her head from him. Sobs filled the room in the echoey chamber as Jack stayed in place. He sighed aggressively as he stood up and separated himself from her personal space.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I'm frustrated and my head hurts. I'm taking a break from you. I'll be back later with food and water." He heard the girl scurrying to her feet as she screamed out to him while he left the room.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, please let me out! Please let me out!" Jack slammed the door roughly behind him as he locked the gate and left the complexity of (Y/n) behind. Sitting in his office chair, Jack rested his arms on his knees while holding his head, a splitting migraine forming. The laptop and paper wreck from the night prior still engulfed the floor, representing how (Y/n) obstructed Jack's mind.

Author's Note: Once again adding this disclaimer that these past 2 chapters are the last ones before shit gets real. I know they seemed kinda boring and anticlimactic, but it's all in the name of 🎃 Relationship Building 🎃
I'll see you guys in 2 weeks. And so concludes the calm before the storm.