The Regenerator

Velvet sheets were felt as she grasped the area surrounding her, yawning loudly while slowly opening tired eyes. Wait... no. That isn't right. These aren't sheets. Looking around while feeling the bumpiness every now and then, (Y/n) realized she was still in the car with Jack while he was driving. Putting her seat back up, she sat up before looking at him. He looked back at her, making eye contact. "Good, you're awake." (Y/n) simply nodded before stretching out her limbs as much as she could within the confined space she was in. Looking around at the area surrounding them, she saw that they were still on the highway. How long was I out? Looking at the radio, she saw that the time read 12:34 AM. I must've been out for several hours. Much needed, to be fair. Did he turn off the radio so I could sleep? It was on before. Sighing deeply, a sudden thought occurred to her.

"Wait... Jack, when was the last time you had sleep?" Putting his right hand through his hair while the left continued to steer and drive, he yawned while responding.

"Mmm... I think I slept for about an hour a few days ago." With widening eyes, (Y/n) fully faced him in her seat before replying.

"Are you serious? Jack, you need sleep. We need to pull over, this is actually dangerous." A firm head shake entered her pupils as she continued to watch him drive.

"I can't. I need to make sure we find a place to stay first. Plus, I don't really know if..." His sentence trailed off, and though it was unspoken, (Y/n) knew precisely what he was insinuating. Lips pressed into a thin line, (Y/n) nodded solemnly in understanding.

"I get it. You don't really know if I'll run away or not. Honestly, that's fair." Jack looked towards the girl, seeing her looking out her window in contemplation.

"When we get situated in a safe place, I'll consider sleeping then." (Y/n) sighed and decided that silence might be better suited than continuing the conversation. Not only did she know there was no point in arguing, but she also knew what that meant for her. She would likely be tied up yet again. Going to scratch her leg, (Y/n) felt something bizarre on her skin for the first time. Pulling her pantleg up, she saw a bandage taped to it. Lifting up her sweatshirt slightly, she saw the same on the stomach wound as well.

"Wait, did you do this? When?" Jack looked over to what she was referring to.

"I pulled to the side of the road and did it while you were sleeping. I'm sorry if that freaks you out, but I had no other choice. Plus, you were sleeping really heavily." (Y/n) didn't have the energy to be weirded out. "Oh, I almost forgot. I was going to give it to you right when we got in the car, but then you fell asleep. I brought you some food, if you want to go through the backpack for it." The slight mention of food itself triggered (Y/n) to immediately start drooling. Reaching behind her for the backpack and pulling it up to her lap, she began to dig through the bag; several sandwiches and a large chip bag were packed, as well as several waters. Immediately ripping everything open like a ravenous animal, (Y/n) felt herself satisfied for the first time in days as she scarfed down the food. "I knew he wouldn't feed you." (Y/n) paused her chewing, feeling tears begin to unwittingly slide down her cheeks, before continuing as if nothing happened. Slowing down after several minutes, (Y/n) heard a sigh next to her. "I just want you to know how truly fucking sorry I feel for everything that's happened, (Y/n)." Looking over to the person sitting next to her, she could see a drop of black tar drip down his face and onto his lap. Is that his way of crying? Not knowing what else to do, (Y/n) put a soft hand on his shoulder, causing Jack to flinch slightly. Deciding to not back down from the gesture of comfort, (Y/n) persisted before responding.

"You said we'd talk about this once we reach a place to stay, right? Try not to think about it until then. But just know, I still don't think you're a bad person, Jack." Jack looked over, enabling eye contact between the two, as she smiled sympathetically. Jack nodded with satisfaction, before turning back to the road. Out of the corner of his eye, Jack could see the girl once again looking out her window. Knowing that she wasn't looking, Jack smiled to himself. And she still treats me as though I'm a good person.