The Gentleman

Author's Note: Play song above throughout chapter. If it ends before the chapter does, play it again.

Upon driving back to the remote cabin, which was nearly a 45 minute drive from the store, Jack insisted on putting the groceries away before they both began discussing doing their hygiene. Thankfully, Jack had found that the home ran on well water, so it wasn't shut off from nobody living there. He had also told (Y/n) on the way back that this would be their last night there. He hadn't explained much of why, but (Y/n) had suspicions that it was because he didn't want the other people from the mansion to know where they were. A shiver ran down her spine as she began to hypothesize what might occur if they did happen upon the two runaways. As Jack turned to speak with (Y/n) after putting away all the groceries, he paused to look at her momentarily. The bright late afternoon sun shone through the coverless window as she gazed upon the fields outside; deep, (e/c) irises glowing from the golden hues complementing them, almost as if the sun knew their worth.

Breathtaking couldn't cover Jack's analysis of the girl before him, though he couldn't understand or figure out why he felt that way. Why did he care about how she looked, and why was it that he had begun to get nervous around her during certain times? His thoughts were unwittingly pushed to the back of his head as her beauty continuously hypnotized him so. Perhaps, he was stuck within her own thoughts as well. He paused before continuing to think to himself. Have... I ever entered her mind as she has mine? Do I make her nervous as she does me? Not only this, Jack could not fathom why he wanted to understand her brain; even from the very start, the idea of her mind being so unique and thoughtful was something he was naturally drawn to. Wanting more and more scared Jack, as he had thought his interest would've immediately disintegrated. What am I to do now...

Before he could finish his thoughts in a peaceful way, the woman looked up at him and smiled, sun shining on her face as it reached golden hour. Breath hitched in his throat, Jack remained silent as she opened her mouth to speak. "I'm sorry, I was just really in my head. I always used to watch the sunsets with my parents when I was younger, and we'd look at the stars, too." A look of sadness washed over her features as Jack tilted his head. Parents are a touchey subject... got it. Deciding a subject change may help, he cleared his throat before doing so.

"Umm, so I was thinking earlier about how we could take turns showering. I still can't trust you alone without handcuffs, so I was thinking I could undo them and stand outside the door." The woman nodded, before looking confused.

"What about when you shower, though?" Jack contemplated her good point.

"That might have to be something I do when you go to sleep." She nodded hesitantly, before deciding to speak her mind.

"I wish you could trust me. Then, we wouldn't have to have these conversations." Stillness filled the air before Jack nodded towards the hallway with the bathroom. As she went in with clothes and products in her arms, he wordlessly turned his back to the door as she closed it. As he heard the water turn on, he drowned the noise out as his thoughts continued. I've been refusing to kill her because of how good she is, but I never said I would stop her from being killed. I could've left her with Jeff and went back to the mansion; now here I am, on the run with her, unable to go back without him punishing me. Why did I go this far? Jack suddenly got an excruciating migraine, making him drop to his knees while grabbing his head. Tar dropped to the filthy floor of the cabin as he slowly encountered nostalgia mixed with anger and confusion.

A singular memory formed in his brain, one that he wished never invaded his mind without permission. A woman laying on the bed in front of him as a young boy, a bottle of alcohol tipped over and dripping slowly. Mascara stained her face as tear lines were observed everywhere, along with still watering blue eyes staring at him.