The Perseverant

It was as though all three were having a stare-off, in which all three knew what had just been discussed without having to bring it up verbally at all. Awkwardness ensued as (Y/n) weighed her options carefully. I could just act like I didn’t hear anything at all, even if it seems fake. It’s better than sticking my nose where it doesn’t belong. On the other hand… don’t I have the right to know what’s going on if they’re talking about me? It’s obvious there’s a large secret being kept, and I have a right to know. Deciding to put her foot down in false confidence, the woman furrowed her brows as she asked the question outright. “What betrayal are you talking about, exactly?” (Y/n) was surprisingly good at faking confidence and acting like she wasn’t nervous, even if she was scared out of her mind. The two women looked at each other before looking back at the human before them. Very brave of her to confront us this directly, thought Clockwork to herself. Surprising Clockwork and Jane further, (Y/n) continued, “Before you deny that anything is being hidden from me, I want you to put yourself in my shoes. How would you feel finding out that those around you know a secret about yourself that you do not? I won’t stand for anything less than the truth.” (Y/n) forced herself to bite her tongue. She knew that if she pushed too hard, she likely wouldn’t get what she was looking for. 

 Clockwork stood up as Jane stared at her in shock. “Fair enough, Princess. What do you wanna know?” (Y/n) hid the shock from her face. Oh my god, I can’t believe it worked. 

 “Ever since I got here, I’ve had this looming suspicion that I’ve met Jack before, but Toby told me that was impossible. Then when I met Jeff, just like you guys mentioned, I did have a memory reappear in my mind. It’s very unclear what it was, but I know I’ve met Jeff before for a fact. What do I want to know, you ask? Everything. I want to know the full truth, free of bullshit.” 

 Clockwork smirked as she stared in awe at the girl before her. This human is one badass chick. “Free of bullshit? You’ve got it. Everything? No can do. You need to figure out the truth on your own. I’ll tell you the basics and that’s that.” (Y/n) gulped as she shifted nervously on her feet. “You and Jack do know each other. I don’t know everything that went down with Jeff, but I do know that you’ve also met. Your memories were all erased. Well, yours and Jack’s, anyways. Not Jeff’s.” Clockwork sat down with a grunt before picking up her tea and taking a big sip before continuing. “That’s all I can say, and you won’t tell anyone shit about this conversation. If my own personal threat isn’t enough for you, then maybe me saying that we would all be killed is enough for you to keep your mouth shut.” (Y/n)’s eyes widened as she continued staring at Clockwork. She could tell that Jane was nervous about everything Clockwork had told her from the look on her face. With a muttered ‘thank you,’ (Y/n) left the library temporarily satisfied, feeling more determined than ever to find out the truth of her and Jack’s connection.

 (Y/n)’s first training session was with Toby, nonetheless. Feeling that because of Toby’s status she wouldn’t get any information out of him, (Y/n) didn’t even bother trying. After all, the risk of Toby reporting back to him was way greater than the chances of him telling her anything. Thus, (Y/n) finished the self-defense class within the next 3 hours, prompting her to shower as exhaustion crept up on her. As the woman laid in bed and stared at the ceiling, nothing but her thoughts consumed her senses and mind. She didn’t know what had come over her; foolishness seemingly caused the girl to operate on autopilot as she stood up from her bed and opened her bedroom door. Poking her head out to ensure no one was in the hallway, the girl slowly closed her door as she made her way to the rest of the bedrooms. Jack’s is 9 doors down from mine to the left, right? Arriving at his door, she took a deep breath before lifting her sweaty hand to knock on the door, only for the door to open and reveal his masked face staring at hers. As the two looked at each other like deer caught in headlights, Jack quickly grabbed the girl and pulled her into his room before shutting the door quietly.