The Opacarophile

As dusk reached the home they were trespassing within, (Y/n) looked out the window with admiration. Sunsets were something she held near and dear to her heart, courtesy of her lovely parents. Feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness was, unfortunately, part of continuing their tradition. It was something she was willing to endure, however, in order to keep their memory alive. She felt a shift next to her, resulting in her breaking away from her thoughts and focusing on the individual next to her. As she saw Jack twiddle his gloved thumbs in his lap, she noticed he was avoiding eye contact, something that was rather unusual for him.

"Are you okay? Something on your mind?" Jack shook his head no to her question immediately, almost defensively.

"No, I'm fine." (Y/n) squinted her eyes at him, clearly not believing the lie he had just told.

"Promise?" Jack finally stopped fidgeting and looked at the girl.

"I told you a million times already, I don't make or believe in promises." Rather than accepting his vague answer, she sighed out of frustration before turning to completely face him while sitting with her legs crossed on the couch.

"How about we play truth or dare. Have you played before?" Jack tilted his head in confusion, showing the girl that the answer was no. "I'll explain the rules. We take turns and one asks the other whether they pick truth or dare. If the person picks truth, the other asks them a question they have to be truthful about. If they pick dare, then the other person has to give them a task to complete. Do you understand?" Although he didn't seem completely trusting of the idea, he eventually signaled his acceptance by also adjusting his body so that he was facing (Y/n) while crossing his legs. "I'll go first. Truth or dare?" Jack took a moment to think before responding.

"Truth."

"Okay, perfect. Why don't you like promises or believe in them?" Jack visibly scoffed at the woman as she smirked.

"That's the entire reason why you wanted to play, isn't it?" The girl laughed loudly as she nervously nodded her head, making Jack's heart flutter. He couldn't find it in him to not answer honestly, so he did. "Honestly, I didn't really know until recently why. Remember how I told you that I lost all my memories when I wasn't a human anymore?" (Y/n) nodded, listening intently to every word. "Well, lately I've been... getting flashbacks of old memories. I'm not exactly sure why, but I know I'm not supposed to remember anything. Anyways, today when you found me passed out, I had a memory of my mom. I was young, and she promised me she loved me... but I know that wasn't the case. I guess that's one of the reasons why I don't believe in them."

(Y/n) was speechless as she felt her eyes welling with tears. She could feel the pain in his voice as he retold the memory he had experienced. She couldn't imagine what it must feel like to experience life through memories like that. Reaching a hand out and gently gripping his arm, she gave a light squeeze as she reassured him. "I'm so sorry, I had no idea. I guess... I don't know, growing up, my own parents never broke their promises." She laughed bitterly before continuing. "So I take them very seriously. When I say I promise something, I would never break that," the woman cleared her throat before wiping stray tears and changing the subject, "anyways, I'm sorry. I pick truth also for my turn."

Jack looked up to the ceiling as he began to think of his question, trying to stop his heart from aching at the sight of her crying. "Do you hate me for everything I've done to you?"

"Not at all," (Y/n) interrupted with no hesitancy. "I don't hate anyone in this world, and especially not you, Jack. You've also helped me to see the world differently, in a good way. It's hard to explain." Jack stared in awe at the girl. Despite everything that's happened, she truly doesn't hate me. That's... so reassuring. He found himself cracking a smile at her, one he couldn't control. This caused her to grin right back while nervously laughing. "Truth or dare?"

Promise (Eyeless Jack x Reader)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara