The Dreamer

Heavy footsteps ricochet off the tunnel walls within the cool basement. Reaching out a gloved palm, the freezing metal doorknob was slowly turned, resulting in the large door opening. Peeping his head through the small sliver between the door and wall, Jack curiously peered into the nearly pitch-black basement, and rested his eyes upon the young woman he kidnapped. Soft snores filled his ears as he observed her somehow sleeping peacefully on the concrete ground.

Hmm... she looks cold. Softly closing the door and swiftly walking up the steps, Jack left the tunnel and entered his small infirmary that was connected by a gate with a lock at the top of the stairs. Throughout the infirmary were various beds with sterilized medical tools at each bedside. Additionally, there were coats, gloves, and other medical supplies in a large closet. Though he couldn't remember why (as the infirmary was mainly used for Jack to treat various members of the mansion after dangerous missions) there was also a large wool blanket as well. Jack sighed while roughly grabbing the blanket. What the fuck is even the point of this? Why am I going out of my way right now? Who cares if she's cold...

Heading back down to the basement through the gate, Jack slowly opened the door again and lightly peeked around the corner to ensure the girl was still fast asleep. Upon seeing her in the same position and hearing her snores, Jack opened the door a bit more before sneaking inside and putting the blanket on (Y/n), making sure she was covered. Jack's curiosity got the best of him, and before he knew it, he was crouched down in front of her. Soft snores continued to grasp his attention, and without thinking, he found himself reaching his hand out to touch her face; almost as if the action was second nature.

Before he could make contact with her cheek, (Y/n) stirred in her sleep, causing Jack to jolt back immediately, resulting in him falling on his butt. Breathing heavily, Jack noticed the girl was simply cuddling up with the blanket, subconsciously pulling it closer to her. Jack stood up immediately in a rage, deciding his time would be best spent out of her presence. Thus, Jack stormed upstairs after shutting the door, locked the gate behind him, and sat in his office chair within the infirmary. Running his fingers through his medium brown hair, Jack trembled with fury.

No, no, no, no, NO. WHY am I changing? WHY do I care? Why was I scared... I'm always the one scaring people. This is BULLSHIT.

All in one motion, Jack swung his arm across his desk, consequently spilling over dozens of papers and file folders, along with breaking his laptop. Realizing he was now standing, Jack attempted to calm down his anxiety-ridden body, which presented itself with heavy, ragged breathing. After a few minutes, Jack successfully settled down, but not without frustrations still lurking within his mind. Deciding that it would be best to separate himself from the woman and the entirety of the situation for the night, Jack headed to his room. Weakly walking up the stairs and reaching his room, Jack found luxury at long last with heavy eyelids finally shut.

Quiet snickering emerged from the shadows as Jeff finally left his room, determined to figure out what Jack had been hiding. Sure, it wasn't abnormal for Jack to spend long hours within the infirmary, performing tests on various specimens and doing research. Jeff found it a bit odd, however, that Jack had disappeared for several days and acted out of character with no explanation. Additionally, it was unheard of for Jack to ask others to cover his missions while simultaneously getting a stern talking to from one of the proxies. All in all, Jeff knew he was hiding something.

Upon reaching the infirmary, Jeff simply walked right in. During the daytime there was typically a passcode, but during nighttime was when it was unlocked. Although it sounded strange and backwards, this was because some of the pastas had late missions and needed access to simple first aid supplies. During the daytime, when Jack completed experiments and potentially treated other pastas, a passcode was needed or one would be required to knock and obtain permission to enter, due to confidential information.

Surprise filled Jeff's system as he witnessed the scattered papers and broken computer on the ground.

"Well, well. Jack sure has been... busy," Jeff chuckled. I was only going to try to hack into his computer but... this isn't what I expected. With a disappointed sigh, Jeff was about to leave the room before he noticed the locked gate. Huh, that's weird. He never keeps this locked unless he has a prisoner for a research project, which he almost never keeps overnight. As Jeff walked closer to the gate to the stairs and basement, he shook it to make sure he couldn't get into it. Of course... I could always break the lock. But last time I did that, I got chewed out by that fucker Toby. Pursing his lips, Jeff walked out disappointed and curious all at the same time, knowing that this was far from over.