The Thinker

Breezing right into the infirmary early morning, Jack ran his fingers through his smooth hair out of exhaustion. He had a long day ahead of him, and he didn't know how he was going to get through it. Jack had a mission later in the day, which he needed to meet with Toby about in the next few hours. Yesterday had been... complicated. Jack could not comprehend his feelings of nervousness or why he went as far as bringing (Y/n) here to the mansion. Well, he kind of could. It was more like a curiosity. Jack had throughly believed prior to observing the woman that he understood mankind through and through; riddled with selfishness and callousness, humans were a disgusting breed filled with nothing but disappointment. He had never known anything to the contrary. That is, until he met the girl. It was frustrating to see her in a selfless career while also dedicating her time to other people and organizations. Why does she do these things... it's not necessary. She could just look out for herself. So, why...

Jack sighed while pouring himself a cup of coffee. Although he was not human, he could still ingest liquids if he chose to do so. Sipping from a plain black mug, Jack grimaced at the bitterness that went down his throat. I don't even like this, it's just a habit I never stopped from being a human, or so I've been told. Jack didn't know much about his old life, but he had decided to indulge Jack in a few fun facts to help keep his sanity at one point. All he knew were three things: as a human, he was a medical student, he liked to walk in the woods, and he also loved to drink black coffee. Nothing more, nothing less. As Jack leaned up against his desk while drinking his coffee, he pondered why he even so desired to keep the very few habits he was told about from his human days, despite hating humans. Maybe it was just something to make him feel less like a monster. Although, is there really any difference?

Jack struggles with who he is as a being constantly. What is his purpose? Why is he here? That has never really changed, resulting in a sense of nihilism crippling him. Alas, he still follows daily orders and missions for the sheer fact that he didn't know what else to do. Staring at the locked gate ahead of him, Jack put his lips into a thin line as he continued to attempt to grasp humanity as a whole. Maybe I have found another reason to live, even if only for a short time...

After all, Jack didn't understand what the girl's motivation was, either. Perhaps they were both senseless beings on the precipice of meaningless; a limbo between living and dying. Is this why she helps people 24/7? An attempt to find meaning? This was the reason for Jack's seemingly random question to the girl, though it wasn't arbitrary at all. Jack wanted a real, genuine answer on the girl's opinion as to why she wanted to live. Maybe if it's a selfish reason, Jack could find the courage to kill her. This was his hope currently, and really his only plan as to what to do with her. She's bound to be like every other human, anyways. It's only a matter of time.

Jack rubbed his temples in an attempt to soothe the headache he was giving himself. Deciding it was time to check in on his houseguest, he put down his mug and proceeded to unlock the gate. It was 6:17 in the morning. With the door to the infirmary locking at 6, Jack knew nobody could walk in without permission, so he wouldn't have to worry about unexpected visitors. After descending the stairwell before him, Jack slowly opened the metal door separating him and (Y/n), only to discover that she was awake and already standing up. Jack froze in place as they, once again, began their staring contest. He had expected this to go for a while, but was surprised to hear the girl speak first after clearing her throat.

"Hi. Um, not to be a bother, but I really really have to pee. Can you please maybe take me to a bathroom?" Jack tilted his head in confusion. I just can't understand how this woman is so kind, even when she's being held fucking hostage. "I promise, I won't try to escape. I never break my promises." Promises...? Those are just a way for humans to manipulate and toy with others' emotions. Promises aren't real. Jack restrained himself from clenching his fists, understanding that any movement like that would terrify (Y/n). Regardless of how he felt, he knew it was the decent thing to do to bring her to the bathroom. What was the alternative, anyways? Pee on the floor? Jack began to walk closer to the girl to undo her chains, coming to a halt upon realizing the girl had flinched in fear.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just going to undo your chains." Jack stayed in place until (Y/n) nodded hesitantly. Jack took out the keys from his pocket before inputting them into the locks that were trapped to the pole. Once they were undone, Jack noticed just how close they were. He could see every detail, from the small mole on her face to the color in her cheeks. He diverted his eyes immediately once (Y/n) began looking at Jack. "I'm just going to say this now, if you try to escape, you won't get far at all. And trust me when I say, I'm the safest thing compared to what's out there." He saw the Adam's apple on the girl's throat move as she gulped nervously. He took her gently by the arm to the back of the basement and around a corner to where the bathroom was. This was typically where all prisoners and experiments being kept were allowed to go.

It wasn't a typical bathroom. It had no door and was, of course, not in mint condition. As (Y/n) went into the doorway, she turned around with a concerned expression on her face. Jack sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck before finally saying, "look, I know it's not ideal. I won't look, I'm not a pervert," before swiftly turning around and folding his hands behind his back. Jack felt his cheeks flushing from embarrassment as he heard the girl take off her sweats and begin to pee. He heard the ruffling of toilet paper before the girl flushed and pulled her pants back up. "Are you finished?"

"Yes, you can turn around now." Jack turned around and, once again, met her eyes with his own. "Thank you for keeping your promise to not look." Jack found himself unintentionally scoffing, making the girl jump slightly.

"I don't make promises. Promises are bullshit." He could see (Y/n)'s own cheeks flushing, probably partially from embarrassment for having to use the restroom with someone listening, and also from Jack's own unexpected mean tone. It was clear to Jack that she was worried and frightened, resulting in him feeling a tinge of guilt. Without another word, (Y/n) began to walk back to her chains around the corner of the basement. Holding her arms out, she allowed Jack to put her restraints back on. As he turned to leave once again, (Y/n) called out to him.

"If promises are bullshit, then why did I just keep mine?" Jack turned back to face her, a mere three feet away. He found himself clenching his jaw unwittingly. Feeling that the conversation was going nowhere, he turned around once again and began to leave. "I... I have my answer." Jack halted in place without turning back around. "My ultimate reason for wanting to live. I have my reason."

Author's Note: I find myself getting secondhand embarrassment pretty easily. The way I just got it from the awkward bathroom situation... 😂