44

Lizzie
December 2020

I keep holding Rosy, still struggling to believe that she's actually here with me. Her sweet, flowery scent and her gentle voice quickly take me back home. God, I've missed her.

Despite being quite old, she has strength in her arms and her hugs are particularly tight. However, I have been waiting for her to come here and visit for so long. She can break all my ribs with her hugs, I don't care.

"Oh, my God, I can't believe it. You came!" I exclaim, snuggling my face into the crook of her neck like I did when I was a child.

"Of course, I came!" she replies with her strong Italian accent. "I told you I would as soon as possible."

Eventually, I put some space between us, although still smiling broadly. She rests her hands on my shoulders, gazing at me like a proud grandmother. My heart swells with joy.

"Look at you, stellina. You look beautiful," she tells me, smiling. "Are you eating? You're so thin. And did you get taller? Oh, look at this hair. Want me to trim the split ends?"

I chuckle, shaking my head. "Rosy... You never change, do you?"

Rosy shrugs. "Well, aren't you going to introduce your boyfriend to me?" she completely changes the subject.

"Oh, yeah. He's in the living room. Come."

"Nate, right?" she asks.

I look down, embarrassed. "Actually... A lot of things happened since we last spoke, and... Well, I'm with Aaron."

"Ohh, I see. The pretty one."

I furrow my brows. "I guess? I mean, they're both good-looking." Although Aaron's beauty is unmatched. We exit the kitchen. "Aaron? Rose wants to meet you," I call him.

I find him speaking with Grace, but when he hears me calling his name he turns around. He comes towards us with a polite smile.

"Rosy, this is Aaron. Aaron, Rosy."

"Hi. I'm so happy to finally meet you," he introduces himself, stretching out his hand. When Rose stays still, his smile falters. "Uhm, is everything okay? Did I say something wrong?"

Rosy blinks. "Damn."

I widen my eyes. "Rosy!"

"This is Aaron?" she exclaims.

"Yes...?" I reply, confused. "Why?"

Aaron looks at me, scared that she might hate him. Don't worry, gorgeous. She's most likely in love with you. And to prove my point, Rosy says, "Because he's a lot more than pretty, you little liar!"

Biting back a grin, he says, "Uhm, thank you, Ma'am."

"Don't thank me, young man. Lizzie, since when do you gatekeep?" she asks me, shocked.

"Who taught you about gatekeeping?"

"I wasn't born last night. Porca miseria (Holy crap). You, young man, are very, very good-looking."

I roll my eyes at Aaron's smile. "Rosy, his ego is big enough already. Please."

She grins and mutters to me, "I bet his ego isn't the only big thing he has."

Aaron breathes a laugh, while my eyes nearly fly out of their sockets. I yelp, "Rosy, holy shit!"

"Hey! No swearing," she scolds me. I watch her, amazed. I can't swear, but she can freely talk about my boyfriend's dick? What have I gotten myself into?