47

Lizzie
December 2020

Aaron and I decided to stay at Henry's house. I did try to speak with Grace, but she's been next to Nate's hospital bed since that night, so I haven't really been able to reach out to her.

However, today we both leave for the championship, so we have to swing by Grace's to grab our suitcases. I could sense Aaron's tension when, this morning, I reminded him.

Grace shouldn't be home, since she's usually at the hospital, but in case she is we decided that it's time Aaron talks to her. He will apologize and he will ask her to be let back in. Grace is not one to hold grudges, so I'm pretty sure she's going to forgive him.

He actually offered to drive, but I refused with a smile. Back in Los Angeles, I didn't drive much. Marcus used to do that for me. My parents claimed it wasn't safe for the daughter of someone as famous as them to drive on her own. What if you get into a car crash? Like that can't happen if I'm in the backseat.

So, here I am, yet again behind the wheel. I did let him choose which songs to listen to. Unsurprisingly, he put on Taylor Swift's album, Lover. We're listening to the songs in it, when one in particular comes on.

I glance at my hand on the wheel and smile at the sight of the white strip around my ring finger. As we stop at a red light, I turn my head and grin at Aaron, who has his head propped on his fist and is watching me with his lips curled into a proud grin.
He might be a Swiftie, but he's also a softie.

Meanwhile, the song keeps playing.

I like shiny things, but I'd marry you with paper rings
Uh-huh, that's right
Darling, you're the one I want
[...]

The light turns green, and I spend the rest of the drive with Aaron's hand holding mine, only occasionally leaving me to grab the wheel more easily or other stuff.

Eventually, we park in front of Grace's house. I squeeze Aaron's hand in mine. "It's okay. This is still your home."

He heaves a breath. "Is it?"

I look up at him and nod. "You know it is. Now let's go. We can't be late, can we? We've got a championship to win."

Aaron chuckles as we start walking towards the door. "You don't even know what snow looks like, sweetheart."

I scoff. "I have seen snow, you know? Rarely, but still."

"Oh, well, then."

I hit him with my elbow in his ribs, making him laugh, and unlock the door, stepping inside. As I crack it open, someone tries to run free. "Take him!"

"Shit!" Aaron throws himself on top of the fugitive cat, thankfully grasping his nape and plucking him up from the ground. "You crazy cat," he complains, standing back up with Milo squirming in his arms.

We enter the house, closing the door behind us and freeing the cat. Milo hisses and walks away, offended. "This guy..." I mutter, shaking my head as I remove my coat and hang it. "That's why I'm a dog person."

"I actually kinda like cats. They're small and fluffy. I like them."

I put my bottom lip out. "You're so—"

"Don't you dare say I'm cute," he stops me.

I blink. I smirk. "Adorable."

"God damn you." I laugh at his eye roll. "Yeah, yeah, laugh all you want." He pulls me in by the waistband of my pants and brings our faces close. He touches his lips to mine, and I can't hold back the smile forming on my mouth.