45

Lizzie
December 2020

Confused, I take a few steps forward. Aaron must notice the movement, because he turns his head in my direction. Consequently, Nate's voice comes. "Wait."

Anything could be happening inside that room. Anything. Nate could be with anyone. Looking at Aaron's face, I can't tell if he's enjoying whatever is in front of him or if it concerns him.

As I start approaching the room, Aaron's eyes stay on my confused face. Who could be in there that is making him look so worried all of a sudden? I would think Nate was fucking someone Aaron's close with, like Logan, but he is still in Korea. I just spoke to him a few hours ago.

Unless... Aaron's worry isn't towards himself. What if it is towards me? What if Aaron is worried about me? That would explain the little sigh he exhales and the slow shake of his head.

Nate's head pops out of the door and he instantly looks at me. He walks out, wearing only a pair of shorts. "Lizzie, wait," he tells me, closing the door behind him.

I furrow my brows, standing in front of him. I try reaching for the handle, but he stops me. I scowl. "Who's in there, Nate?" I ask, trying to keep my voice low since it's the middle of the night.

Nate's blue eyes seem scared. "Liz, look, it doesn't matter," he stutters.

I tilt my head, throwing a quick, annoyed glance at Aaron, standing behind the blond. "If it's not important, then you won't mind me walking in, right?"

As I attempt to get the door open again, he grabs my wrist and stops me. "Please, don't."

"You have two seconds to get your hand off her, Castle," Aaron says darkly, pissed. "One..."

"Jesus, man," Nate swears, annoyed as well.

"Don't touch my girl."

I grip the metal of the handle, but Nate presses his body to the door, blocking me. I sulk even more at how jumpy he's being. "Who's in there, Nate?" I demand.

"No one."

"Open the door."

"Can't."

"Believe it or not, I can hurt you very badly," I threaten him.

"She really can," Aaron adds, leaning against the wall.

"Lizzie, I just..."

"You just what? Tell me who's in there."

"I can't! If I do you're gonna kill me."

"I'll kill you either way, but if you show me I'll make it quick."

We start speaking at the same time, no longer caring if we're being a bit too loud. I try taking Nate's arm, but he holds still.

"Who's in there?!" I ask for the millionth time, raising my voice.

"No one!"

"Who is inside!"

"There's no one inside—"

"Oh, for Christ's sake, that's enough," a fourth voice replies. A voice I know very well.

The door opens from the inside, forcing Nate to move aside. I widen my eyes, genuinely surprised to find her standing in front of me. Basically whispering, I say, "Cameron?"

She stands there, with guilt in her eyes. She takes a shaky breath. "Lizzie, let me explain, please," she begs.

"Oh, fuck this shit," I snap. "You're fucking my ex?!" I lash out, pointing a finger at her.