Chapter 3

Sebastian and I stared at each other with narrowed eyes while silently wishing the other would die.

The silence was interrupted by my brother clearing his throat. "So, why are we just randomly staring at each other like weirdos?" my brother called out with an awkward laugh.

Completely ignoring Max's remark, Sebastian gave me a disgust-filled once over. "Well, if it isn't Miss perverted little princess," he scoffed.

"And if it isn't Mr, annoying pain in my arse," I bit back before I could stop myself.

Lara stepped forward with a look of confusion on her face. "Wait, you guys know each other?" she asked as she looked back and forth between her brother and me.

"Hmm," Sebastian and I muttered at the same time as we continually glared at each other.

Breaking our staring contest, Sebastian swiftly turned to his sister. "Lara, let's bounce, his sister is trash."

As my lower jaw hung itself open, the bastard had the cheek to do a one-hundred-and-eighty-degree spin before heading back for the door.

He barely made it two steps before Lara snatched him back by the scruff of his shirt before swinging him back to face me. "Hey, get back here you idiot. Have you got no manners," she hissed as she slapped him upside the head.

Sebastian glared at her. "Ow, no need to be violent," he snapped as he gingerly rubbed his head.

Lara's eyes went fiery mad. "Well, there's no need to be rude, is there? I don't care what your beef is with Phoebe, you're going to behave," she scolded, very much sounding like a mother telling off her three-year-old brat.

Unable to help myself, I let out a half snicker. "Sebastian? Behave?" I laughed. "We'd have better luck training a monkey."

As I was met with another heated glare from Sebastian, I was suddenly jerked back by a swift pull on my elbow. Pulling me further to the side, my brother swung me away from them. "Phoebe," Max hissed, sending me a warning glare. "What happened to making this dinner perfect? Play nice!"

Remembering my earlier words about being on my best behavior, my eyes softened, and I reluctantly nodded my head. Feud or not, I had to at least try and act civil for the sake of Max, no matter how disgusting the idea of dining with Sebastian sounded.

Stepping back round to face them, my brother's face spread into a warm happy grin. "Yeah, of course, we don't mind that Sebastian's here; the more the merrier," he laughed.

Sebastian's and I's eyes met over the shoulders of our siblings before instantly narrowing.

"Now, why don't you guys follow me, dinner's already on the table," Max smiled, as he nodded his head for them to follow.

As Lara, and Max walked on ahead laughing about something, Sebastian, being the annoying nuisance that he is, decided to hang back so he could walk along beside me in step.

Letting out a loose snicker, Sebastian spared me a glance. "I should have guessed you live here now; you definitely act spoiled enough to. Don't you little Miss cheer princess?"

Though ten different insults arrived at my head all in a second, I bit firmly down on my lip and fought back the urge to spit one out. This is about Max; not you, Phoebe. This is about Max; not you.

Stabbing at little bits of my peas, I listened on with a faint smile as Lara finished talking. It had only been about ten minutes into dinner, but I had already decided I was in love with Lara. She was the ideal kind of person to date – beautiful, funny, and down to earth. Or, in other words, the complete opposite of Sebastian. I do, admit I was feeling kind of skeptical of what she might be like since she had an asshole for a brother but luckily, she had proved herself to be absolutely nothing like him. After taking some time to look at her properly, I had also realized I had in fact bumped into her a few times, years ago, when I used to hang out at Sebastian's house, but we never really talked too much since she always seemed to be on the way out to meet with friends.