Chapter 22

Shouldering my bag, I slammed the car door behind me before staring up at the small residential home before me with a long-winded sigh.

Rather unexpectedly, I was seconds away from entering Blaire and Leon's house.

Why? Weirdly because I'd been invited around for Sebastian's birthday gathering – he was turning eighteen.

It was beyond strange that I was going considering Sebastian's unwavering hatred towards me. But for whatever reason, Blaire had decided to add me to a group chat with her and Leon named 'Sebastian's secret birthday party', and the next thing I knew, I was being roped into going.

I would have said no normally, but I did slightly feel like I owed Sebastian after the dramatic efforts he'd gone to get the pregnancy rumor about me squashed. The only real bright side of the strange gathering was that I had also forced Ava along with me for emotional support. It wasn't like they would mind too much that she was coming considering Leon had a crush on her and all.

Turning back to see what was taking Ava so long, I turned around and knocked frustratedly against the car window. "Ava, come on, hurry up!"

I caught sight of her rolling her large blue eyes at me as she made a face at me through the car window. Soon enough though, she popped open the passenger side door and took her place beside me.

"Calm down, I was just finishing sending a message, chill lax," she huffed, as she brushed and straightened out her skirt.

"I'll chill lax when I want to," I snapped back rudely.

Ava plucked up a perfectly amused eyebrow. "Yikes, what's got you in such a mood. Feeling overwhelmed with excitement to hang out with your new boy-bestie?" she teased. "No, sorry your Sebby webby baby daddy," she snorted as she gave me an overzealous wink.

Knowing she was referring to the fake pregnancy drama that had surfaced earlier this week, I glared at her and wasted no time in giving her an overly enthusiastic whack around the arm – hard.

"Ouch, touchy," she laughed and jumped away from me with a pout.

"Yeah, well tell me you wouldn't be a little touchy, after the whole school thought your childhood friend, and former enemy knocked you up," I threw out with spirit before pushing myself off my car, and making a beeline for the house.

Ava quickly jogged to catch up with me. "Hey, I'm sorry. I was just messing around. Of course, what happened was fucked up," she said with a softened voice as she gave me an empathetic bump on her shoulder.

Turning her way, I let my lips slip into a smile to reassure her. "Yeah, don't worry, I'm just being dramatic, I'm not actually mad," I admitted, my voice softening. "Especially since Sebastian pretty much fixed it for the most part," I admitted with a shrug.

Still walking alongside me, Ava's mouth twisted into a smile. "You can't deny that it's not cute that he convinced the whole school that he likes you to get everyone to start gossiping about him instead of you, hmm. Admit it, Phoebs, he's kinda got to be growing on you, huh?" she probed, as she sent me a playful look.

I gave Ava a weird look. "Yeah, definitely wouldn't go that far," I spat out flatly as we finally came to a stop at the door.

I didn't even get a chance to lean in the direction of the bell before the door suddenly swung open with force.

Instantly the image of a smirking ten-year-old boy with volumes of golden-brown hair came into view. A sickened feeling ran through me, instantly recognizing him as Blaire and Leon's pervy little brother – Austin.