Chapter 47

I was a mess. There was simply no other way of describing it; that's simply what I was.

Ever since I made the revelation that I liked Sebastian; I had turned into this disaster of a human being and I'd been avoiding him ever since. It was practically a necessity due to how stupid and jittery I now got around him.

For the whole of yesterday, I couldn't say a straight sentence to him, without either stuttering, avoiding his eyes, or just plain messing up my words. I swear it was those damn stupid eyes of his – they were killing me.

Concentrating on my task at hand, I stared down at my laptop screen and took a deep breath in and out. It was a free period at school, and I was currently sag tucked under a tree in the school garden. It was the only place I could think of where the chances of bumping into Sebastian were low. The boy was practically everywhere.

Instead of getting on with schoolwork, I'd shamefully spent the past hour looking up commons signs to know whether or not you're losing your mind. And the results weren't looking promising....

It's not surprising considering how I went from hating Sebastian with a burning passion to now being romantically obsessed with him in a matter of weeks. That just couldn't be normal. I had to be mad.

In a moment of gnawing curiosity, I found my fingers typing the words 'nearest mental hospitals' into the search bar. My eyes instantly drew to the first one that came up in the suggestions. Hmm...only twenty minutes away...

"Hey, Phoebe," a voice called out in the distance. I froze at the sound of his voice, instantly recognizing it. I looked up and true to my assumption, I saw Sebastian walking his way over to me with a loose smile on his face.

Once he was before me, he boldly sat himself down on the grassy floor opposite me without invitation. He looked me up and down with a smile. "So, what are we doing hanging out under a tree, Brooks? Bit of a weird place to study, don't you think?"

I shuffled nervously in place, wondering how to kindly explain to him that I was sitting here in the failed hopes of avoiding him.

"Oh, it was just hot outside so I just wanted to enjoy the sun, that's all," I lied quickly.

Sebastian lightly nodded in understanding. "Hmm, fair enough," he murmured.

"Anyway, what are you working on over there?" he asked, as he gestured over to my laptop.

I immediately widened my eyes and slapped my laptop screen shut. "Nothing," I said quickly.

This only seemed to intrigue Sebastian further, and he stared me up and down with far too amused-looking eyes. "You watching porn or something?"

"No, of course not! We're literally at school."

Sebastian's smile only grew. "Then show me the laptop then," he probed.

My face burned. "No," I snapped quickly.

"Not going to lie, Phoebe, it's really not looking good for you," he said with a light chuckle. "At least tell me what kind of porn it is? I bet ten bucks, it's some kind of kinky domination thing. I know you have a thing for that," he teased with a wink.

Instead of feeling humiliated, an electric feeling ran up and down my spine from the sight of his wink. Get a hold of yourself, Phoebe.

"No, I think you're the one who has a thing for that," I finally threw back.

"Perhaps," he shrugged with a smile. Unsurprised, I rolled my eyes.

He stared at me for a second or so, then completely catching me off guard, he suddenly reached forward and snatched my laptop up off the ground.