Chapter 59

Rubbing a hand loosely over my embarrassingly sweaty forehead, I flopped down onto the changing room bench with an overexaggerated sigh. It was finally five- o'clock and we'd finally finished through with cheer practice. It had been a pretty intense session due to the sweltering hot weather and the excessive number of times we'd gone over the routine.

Practice had almost been intense enough to make me forget about Sebastian. Almost. I'd been tense and paranoid all day that he was up to something. He said 'challenge accepted' for fucks sake, so I couldn't help but feel scared that he was going to do something destructive. But surprisingly, Sebastian had been acting fairly normal so far today.

In the classes that we shared together, he just lightly chatted to me and made his normal stupid jokes, and nothing more. He didn't even mention me sneaking into his room, staying over, and kissing him. It was as though it never happened. Well, as almost as though it never happened.

As every day as the conversations may be between us, there was still this unshakeable feeling of tension that seemed to hang between us. And the way he looked at me only seemed to amplify this feeling.

"You, alright Phoebs, you look a little daydreamy?" a voice commented before the bench sunk down beside me. So absorbed in thought, I was caught by surprise to find Ava sitting beside me while eyeing me with a confused smile.

She as always looked like she had barely broken a sweat, and her bright bleach-blonde hair was streaked back into a tight even bun.

She looked healthier since the incident at the party. Her eyes were less baggy, she was starting to sit a little straighter and I noticed she was starting to drift back towards her normal clothes, and less towards the baggy stuff.

"Erm, yeah, I'm fine," I finally mumbled, once I was pulled away from my thoughts.

"Good," Ava said with a smile before starting to change out of her shoes.

"You seem a lot happier today?" I commented conversationally as I took notice of the smile on her face.

I had noticed it since this morning. She's been smiling away all day, in a way that was impossibly hard not to notice.

"Hmm, I guess," Ava commented while still smiling away.

Curiously nagged away at me. What was she hiding?

"Anyway, got to go, Phoebe. I'm late for something already-"

Then without a further word or explanation, she shoved the rest of her clothes into her bag before starting to make her way to the door.

Well, that was weird... Ava wasn't normally one to be shy about sharing her plans.

Figuring maybe she was getting me a birthday present for next week or something, I let it slide and decided not to pry.

Looking around, I realized I was the last one left in the changing room, and all the other girls had cleared off and left.

Quickly getting changed into some jeans and a top, I started stuffing the rest of my old gym clothes into my bag as I got ready to go. That's when I heard the soft creak of a door from outside the girl's changing room door.

"Phoebe?" I heard a voice call. Recognizing the voice as Sebastian's, my heart jumped in the foolish way it always did when I heard his voice. What the hell was he doing here? School finished ages ago, and I knew he didn't have swim practice today.

"Yo, Phoebe?" he called again, slightly louder this time as he likely got closer. "Yeah, just a second, I'm just finishing getting changed," I yelled back as I walked to the mirror and started re-tying my hair up in the mirror.