Chapter 56

I couldn't sleep. It was one am in the morning, and I hadn't even gotten one fucking minute's worth of sleep. No matter how much I tried to relax, I couldn't seem to stop thinking about earlier today in the corridor with Sebastian.

I couldn't help but wonder what was going through his head. Did he hate me now? Was he going to ignore me? I had no idea. It haunted me that I had looked him dead in the eye and told him I thought his best friend was more attractive. That was fucked up – even I knew that. It would have easily broken my heart if he'd done the same.

Rolling over in bed, I tried for the hundredth time to pull my mind away from it but instantly failed. My mind just kept mocking me by repeating various versions of the sentence, 'Sebastian hates you,' over and over again in my head.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. Sitting up in bed, I kicked my covers off and made an immediate path towards my wardrobe. I barely even registered what I was doing as I started pulling out a top and jeans to change into. At the back of my mind, I knew I was acting crazy, but that fact did nothing to stop me from pulling my pyjamas off and putting on my day clothes in their place.

Once I was changed, I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and pocketed it before quietly making my way to my bedroom door. I crept down the stairs as quietly as I could so as not to alert my parents.

Then without even thinking twice, I strode my way down the porch and out the side gate of my house. The night was pitch black, and I would barely be able to see if not for the scattered light coming in from our porch light and street lamps.

Like I was in a trance, my legs took me left at the end of the street and soon I found myself walking a route I knew all too well. I kept a watchful eye out as I walked as I entered a rougher area. It then dawned on me how striding out in the middle of the night all alone might not have been my smartest move.

It didn't take long until I started to slow down as I neared my destination. Coming to a slow stop, I turned to my left and stared up at a small two-story home. Sebastian's home.

I swallowed hard as I stared up at it, and started to feel doubt pick away at my mind.

I was actually insane. I had to be. I had literally walked to his house in the dead of the night without even calling him first. What the fuck was wrong with me?

Deciding if I had already gone this far, I might as well go all the way. So, with that thought, I started to make my way towards his gate that led to his back garden. I knew his window faced the back of the house, so I knew that was the smartest place for me to approach.

Luckily the gate didn't have a lock on it and I was able to slide my way past the gate and round into his yard.

Turning to face the house, I stared up at the two upstairs windows and was able to quickly work out that the large one on the right had to be Sebastian's room.

His curtains were drawn all the way shut and his window was completely closed. I stared in contemplative silence for about a second or so, as I weighed up whether or not I was crazy enough to see this through.

Then with a sigh, I bent down to the floor and picked up a few conkers that had fallen loose from their big chestnut tree. Before I had a chance to re-consider, I had already hurled my first conker and it hit the window with a light but noticeable clatter. I waited, and nothing.

I rolled my eyes, as I remembered he was a heavy sleeper. Trying again, I hurled my arm back and threw yet another conker with a bit more force this time, then another. Both hit his window.

Finally, as I was on my way to throwing my fourth conker, I saw the curtain shift before it was suddenly drawn out completely.

Sebastian immediately came into view. He was completely shirtless, and his messy black bed hair was ruffled up with some bits sticking to his forehead. He looked hot and cute all at the same time, and just one sight of him had already made my cheeks warm.