Chapter 35

The three of us all engaged in an awkward stare-down, everybody remaining strictly frozen in place. Sebastian kept his hands still on my naked back, and I continued lying on the bed while staring at my dad, wide-eyed. It was like a nightmare that had come to life.

My dad blinked twice before clearing his throat. "I'm going to get a drink," he said abruptly. 

Then taking a step back from the door, he hurried to slam the door to vanish what must have been an awful sight, clean from his view. From the look on his face, I'd bet the drink he was after was a heavily alcoholic one.

"Well...erm, that went better than I thought," Sebastian said from above me.

"No, no, no. This is bad. This is so, so bad," I groaned, as I buried my face into my covers. "I didn't even know they were coming home today..."

I heard Sebastian gently climb off the bed and soothingly rub up and down my back. The soothing up-and-down rhythm of his fingers felt relaxing and almost distracted me from my humiliation. Almost.

"I want to die," I cried into my covers.

"Relax, he didn't even see anything, you're covered. And besides, he can't prove we were doing anything, he argued.

I slightly lifted my head and threw him a deadened look. "Yeah, because he's totally going to believe that I was just casually hanging out in a room with a boy without my top on, for good normal reasons," I muttered sarcastically.

There was a brief silence, an uncomfortable one. "Fair point, fair point...," Sebastian trailed off with a nervous laugh.

I let out a heavily defeated sigh. "Can you just pass me a baggy T-shirt or something from my wardrobe? I'm paranoid he's going to come back."

Thankfully, Sebastian did as I said and the bed dipped as he rose before I heard him make quick strides toward the direction of my wardrobe door. I heard the swing of the door before silence spread throughout the air.

"Erm...Phoebe...," Sebastian started slowly.

"Yeah?" I murmured as I flipped my head around from where I still lay.

"Why is my jacket in your wardrobe?" he asked. My heart instantly stopped. Shit.

"What do you mean?" I said deciding to play dumb.

Walking back over to me, he dangled his green bomber jacket in front of my face. "I mean this is the jacket, I came over here for. You know the one you claimed you'd never seen?" he said as he plucked up an amused brow. The level of smugness on his face was unsettling, as were his twitching lips that were more than threatening to turn into a smile.

I did my best to keep my face neutral and unsuspecting. "We must have the same one," I lied again.

Sebastian plucked out the label and looked down at me with a humor-filled smile. "So, you're trying to tell me you drape your tiny body in a men's medium to large, do you?"

"Or then again, it could be my brother's," I muttered with a nervous laugh.

When Sebastian met my eyes with a flat look, I knew the jig was up and rolled my eyes. "Whatever, maybe I stole it, but it was your own fault for not being more careful with your stuff."

Sebastian looking slightly intrigued, further plucked up his brow. "Oh, really is that the case? Maybe in that case I'll just hang on to your top since finders and keepers and all that," he said, his eyes sparkling devilishly as he spoke.

In normal circumstances, I would have leaped off the bed to slap the shit out of him, but due to the fact I was currently topless, that didn't seem like the smartest option.