Chapter 29

The blazing sun glared down on my face as I walked quietly alongside Sebastian down a narrow residential road. We were only about a minute or so into our walk, and though he was chatting and teasing like normal, there was something undeniably shifty about him today. It was like he was planning something.

Just as I was slowing down to get ready to cross a small road, Sebastian suddenly stepped closer to me and pulled my bag free from my shoulder without a word of warning.

Then, like it was a completely normal thing to do, he just threw my rucksack over his own shoulder, and just continued on walking.

I slowed down and gave him the oddest of looks. "And you took my bag, because....," I trailed off with a light laugh.

He turned to me and shrugged. "Because I felt like it. Can't a guy carry a girl's bag without being judged?"

"But you never carry anyone's bags, never mind mine," I said, as I looked him over with a chuckle.

"Well, I am now," he snapped.

Realizing it was probably best not to over-question someone who looked as though they were on the brink of losing their mind, I just chose to drop the subject.

As we turned a corner, I'm not sure if I was imagining it but I felt as though Sebastian was drifting a little closer toward me. That's when I felt his hand accidentally bump against mine. I expected him to quickly retract his hand, but he didn't. Instead, he left his hand in place, and let it continually graze repeatedly against mine.

Very distracted by it, I decided to spark up a conversation to try and take my mind off it. "So, how come you're picking Izzy up so late from preschool. Don't most preschools finish at three-thirty?"

Again, his fingers brushed up against mine, once again distracting me. "Yeah, they do, but the lady who looks after them, lets her stay half an hour or so later, so we have time to pick her up," he explained.

As his fingers brushed up against me for the fourth time, I was convinced he had to be doing it on purpose. Maybe it was his weird new way of trying to piss me off.

"My hands feel cold, do yours?" Sebastian suddenly announced as his fingers once again accidentally brushed against mine.

This time I was convinced Sebastian had officially lost his mind. I turned to face him with a cocked-up brow. "It's literally 25 degrees outside, how the hell are your hands possibly cold," I laughed.

"Well, they just are, okay. I'll show you," Sebastian said. Then this time as his fingers brushed against mine, he turned his palm around and slipped my hand right into his.

I instantly felt a strange fluttering feeling pass through my stomach as he closed his fingers around mine. Forced to stand closer to him, I was coated with the light smell of his lingering soap and aftershave that he must have put on during his shower after his swim.

Memories of the shower room naturally led images of his naked body to re-surface in my mind and that's all that I needed for my whole face to feel like it was burning up in flames.

Losing all train of thought as we walked hand in hand, I could barely even remember why he'd ever held my hand to begin with.

Finally, as my mind landed back on earth, I turned to him, shooting him a funny look. "Your hand feels the exact same temperature as mine."

"Hmm," was all Sebastian said in response while tightening his grip on my hand. He didn't even seem mad that he'd been proven wrong.

I was just about to question why he was still holding on when suddenly a car beeped at us. Turning, I saw a black sports car slow down to reveal three thirty-year-old-looking men whistling over at me from the car window.