Chapter 32

"Sebastian? What are you doing here?" I questioned as I looked him up and down with curious eyes.

Completely ignoring my question, Sebastian just smiled at me before sauntering his way into the house through the gap I'd left through the door. It's like the boy thought he owned the place.

Closing the door, I quickly turned around to face him. "By all means come in," I spat sarcastically.

Sebastian chuckled, then let his eyes draw to the vase of water in my hands. "Why are you holding a vase?"

I paused at his question before quickly realizing this was a good chance as any to brag to him after he mocked me for not having any plans for valentine's day.

An instant smile slipped to my lips, a bragging one. "Oh right, some guy that's super into me, delivered me some roses just a little bit before you came," I explained as I gestured over to the flowers on the hallway table.

"Really, into you, huh?" Sebastian repeated, his eyes shining amusedly. Without being asked, he strolled his way over to the table in the hallway. He let his finger graze softly over the petals and adjusted them so they sat more upright.

"Hmm, they're nice, lucky you," he mumbled as he continued to inspect them.

Knowing Sebastian, I figured he was being nosey and trying to look for the name attached so he could make fun of the guy.

After a moment of silence, he turned back to face me. "So, do you like them?" he asked. His expression was stiff as he spoke, but there was a level of curiosity dancing behind his eyes that distracted me.

It took me a second to collect my words. "Yeah, of course, what girl wouldn't? I don't think anyone's ever gotten me flowers before," I admitted with an honest smile.

His lips twitched slightly upward. "Any clue who they're from?"

"Actually, no, they didn't say who they were. They just left a cute card," I explained with a small shrug. "You can read it if you want," I said gesturing over to the flowers.

At this point, I was shamelessly trying to rub it in how much flower guy liked me. I didn't want Sebastian to continue to think I was this lonely girl with no prospects.

Sebastian stepped closer and plucked out the little note attached to the flowers, and scanned his eyes over it. He let out a light snicker before meeting my eye in amusement. "Your pathetically whipped fool, huh? At least the poor guy who gave you this knows what he is. I almost feel sorry for him."

My heart squeezed tightly, knowing he was likely trying to make a dig at me. Not at all surprised that Sebastian was making fun of flower guy for being a sensitive human being, I looked him over with irritative narrowed eyes. "Why would you feel sorry for him?"

"Because he's probably going to get his heart broken," Sebastian explained simply and boldly.

A harsh breath escaped my lips. "I hardly see how I could break his heart."

He let out a scoff, that almost sounded like it could have been a laugh. "Trust me, I think you're more than capable of that, trust me. Besides, I only said I almost feel sorry for him," he said in correction.

"Why only almost?" I probed.

"Because if you break his heart, it's technically his own fault. I know people say it's not a choice who you choose to love, but it kind of is. Think about it – you can't fall in love with someone unless you spend time with them. And if he can't bring himself to distance himself from you then that's his problem," he said, suddenly oddly wise for what started off as such a simple conversation.