Chapter 30

Valentine's day. Those were the two words I felt smacked in the face with when I entered the school doors on what I thought was supposed to be a normal Thursday morning.

Every fourteenth day of February our school seemed to go nuts. You couldn't turn a corner without seeing some girl gushing over some big heart-shaped balloon, or a rather weird couple warming up to make a baby against the surface of someone else's locker. Some students even dead-ass dressed like cupid.

The whole thing was just weird. And I mean, weird, weird. I honestly can't think of a year where I hadn't left school traumatized from the event to some degree or another.

Normally I liked to prep myself for the insanity of the day that was a school Valentine's Day but this year it had completely escaped my mind. It was beyond me how people could bother to remember the date when they weren't even dating anyone.

It was the one great perk of being single – one less holiday to give a shit about.

Weaving between the piles of students, I tracked my normal path to my locker. I slowed down my speed as I spotted Ava busy digging her way rather enthusiastically through her locker next to mine.

"Hey, Av," I called out as I swung my back off my shoulder.

Seeming startled, she quickly looked up but then smiled once she saw me. "Oh hey, Phoebs, happy Valentine's Day! Oh wait, and before I forget," she said as she quickly bent down and started rummaging through her backpack. After two seconds, she stood up and proudly held out an envelope for me to take.

"You got me a card?" I laughed.

"Yeah, I decided to treat you this year," she winked.

Amused, I opened the card and saw a picture of two little bears hugging with the phrase 'Best friends forever' written over the top. As I opened the card, I could see she had written 'To Phoebs, Happy Valentine's Day! You'll always be my favorite bitch. Love you Av.' It was signed off with an exorbitant number of hearts and kisses that I couldn't help but smile at.

I closed it softly and looked up at her. "Aww, now I feel bad for not getting you something."

"As you should," Ava joked with a wink. "But no seriously don't worry, I've got plenty of cards already," she said as she raised up a rather big stack of about five or so cards, high up in the air.

"Any interesting ones?" I probed, as I playfully waggled my brows.

Ava eye's softened slightly. "Actually, yeah that was one really sweet one. They wrote me a really cute poem and left me a little rose attached to the card. Haven't a clue who it was from though, which is strange, but they did leave me a number and urged me to text them. So, I'll guess I'll have a cute little anonymous text pen pal from now on. It's kind of like a movie," she joked.

Having a strong hunch that it was Leon who'd written the card, I remained silent and just smiled gently at her. I was tempted to just flat out tell her, but I knew that wouldn't be right if Leon wasn't ready.

"Anyway, I've got to go Phoebs. I'll catch you later though," Ava said with a smile before blowing me a kiss. Then quickly collecting up all her stuff, she hurried off down the corridor.

Letting out a heavy sigh, I finally made it over to my own locker and as I opened it, I was surprised as three envelopes fell out by my feet.

Picking them gently off the ground, I inspected each of the handwriting on the envelopes with a furrowed brow. I hadn't exactly been expecting any valentines since I wasn't really dating around or in any form of a relationship. Then again, there was no saying if they were even valentine cards, to begin with; they could always be an oddly timed complaint letter.