| Aether

Just as I was about to head upstairs, the front door opened behind me.
I turned around, ready to summon my weapon, until I noticed the familiar golden-haired traveler step through the door.

"Oh, Aether? You're back early."
I smiled, but he didn't smile back. He looked exhausted, cold, and slightly injured.

"Ah, yeah. Ran into a ruin hunter."
He mumbled, rubbing his eyes and exhaling deeply. My gaze softened and I walked past him into the kitchen.

"I know you're fully capable of defending yourself, but at least try and be careful..." I said, digging through the drawers in the search for a first aid kit.

Aether leaned against the wall.
I finally found the kit and opened it. I grabbed a few bandaids and a bandage, and then a cotton pad that I could dab on his injuries.

When I came back to the hallway, I saw how much pain he was in and almost dropped everything that I was holding.
"Aether? Can you hear me?"

He nodded, allowing me to let out a sigh of relief.
"Good, go sit down. I'll get you some water, everything will be okay."

Upon telling him to do so, I grabbed a glass and started to fill it up with water - it was difficult to carry everything, but I didn't care or even notice.

I placed the glass on the small table beside where he was laying, and I opened the kit again, taking out the cotton.
I dipped it in a separate bowl of warm soap and water, before glancing at Aether. His eyes were squeezed shut, and it looked as if he was moments away from falling into a slumber.

"Aether," I started, gently stroking his cheek with my thumb. "this is going to sting a little, okay?"

I couldn't tell if he had even heard me or not, but either way I hoped he was ready for the pain.
Slowly, I placed the wet cotton pad against his wounded arm and watched sadly as he flinched.

I was desperately trying to make the pain ease, but there was not a lot I could do about it. I noticed his eyes started to water.
"It stings..." He whispered, tossing his head back.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry..."
I replied.

Although tired, I could tell he was trying his best to ignore the pain.
"I hate it..." He mumbled.

"Hm? Hate what?" I asked, still cleaning his cuts.

"When people make me do their commissions... I'm not a robot. I have feelings too."

His response broke my heart.
"And you can't just... refuse?"

Aether shook his head and sighed, leaning back a bit further.
"Thank you... for this."

"There's no need to thank me. You got pretty bashed up by that ruin hunter, it's really the least I can do. Does that feel better?"

I put the cotton back into the bowl and grabbed a bandage, before wrapping it around the cleaned cut.

"Yeah, it feels okay. Though it kind of aches when I move it."

With a smile, I ran my fingers through his long, shiny hair, and nodded.
"It will do for a day or two, but it should be alright. Tell me if you need anything, though, and I'll help you out in a heartbeat."

His soft hand trailed across my jaw, gently running his fingers across it.
"I can't thank you enough, Y/N. I really do love you. So, so much..."