| Yae Miko

I chewed on the lid of my pen, glancing down at the paper underneath me. I was too sucked in to my work to notice that the door had opened, and somebody was standing in between the door frame.

"My my, is that a new kimono? It looks lovely on you."

I almost knocked over my water from surprise and looked up. Yae Miko was gazing back at me with a smile.
"O-Oh! Chief editor, sorry, I didn't realize you were here. Did I keep you waiting?"

She chuckled and entered the room. Her eyes scanned the words I'd written and she shook her head.
"No, that's quite alright. It seems you've been working hard."

I nodded and cleared my throat.
"Ahem... yeah, I didn't exactly feel welcome with the other shrine maidens so I decided to do all of my work in one sitting."

Her eyes widened and she lifted my head with her finger. My cheeks reddened and I fiddled with my own fingers, unsure of what to say or do.
"You didn't feel welcome? How so?"

"T-They were talking about... having a lover, or something. I couldn't relate so I came here. Sorry, I should've told you." I replied, my heart pounding against my chest.
Yae pulled her hand away and scooped all of the paper up, putting them into one neat pile.
"Well, that simply won't do. As part of being a shrine maiden, you can't overwork yourself - socializing is an important aspect, too! So, little one. Tell me what's on your mind."

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. She grinned and I looked down.
"Hmm... to make it easier, how about I tell you what's on mine? For starters... I don't know if you heard me or not earlier, but I said your new kimono looks lovely on you."

I smiled, the pink shade reappearing on my cheeks. "Yeah, I heard you. I just... didn't exactly know what to say."

"That's alright, we all have our moments where we're rendered speechless."

"How did you know it was new? I'm in here most of the time I'm at the shrine."

For a second, I thought she'd began to blush as well. Though I was too focused on her response to actually notice. "Oh? Well... I just noticed. The other one was light pink, and the one you're wearing now is floral. It's a clear difference."

"And I noticed your earrings are polished, and you tried a new shade of lipstick."

I regretted those words as soon as they came out of my mouth.

Yae laughed loudly and lifted an eyebrow. "Wow, so you do pay attention to small differences. And here's me thinking you were always focused on working."

I made eye contact with everything but her, I couldn't believe what I'd just said. Something told me that my embarrassment just made the moment even more amusing for her.

"Though, little one, it appears there was a change that you missed."

I looked up.

Yae leaned forward, so close that her fluffy pink hair was brushing against my cheek. I could practically feel the butterflies flying around in my stomach.
Eventually, she moved away. I didn't understand what was different, but the experience was... kind of enjoyable.

"As well as a new lipstick, I tried a new perfume. Though it seems you were too flustered to even notice that, hm?"

I didn't say anything, and she simply giggled at that.

"Hehe, you're adorable. I should let you be now, don't you think? I'll always be available if you'd like to spend time with me, though." She gently pecked her lips against my cheek, and I felt shivers shoot down my spine. Her hand caressed my jawline before she turned to leave. "I'll see you around, mhm?"

I was left with my jaw hanging open as she closed the door behind her.
I pressed my fingertips against my cheek where she'd kissed me and I smiled. I didn't want to brag to anyone about what happened, but I knew for sure Lady Yae didn't kiss them too.

I didn't ever think I'd end up falling for my boss, but it was an exhilarating experience.