• Pantalone •

It can be easy or difficult to realise you've fallen for somebody - it depends on the situation.
But what was difficult for you... was the realisation that you fell for your boss. The 9th Fatui harbinger.
And what was even worse than that, was that he flirted with you. Platonically.

Were you going to tell him? Probably not.
Were you going to stay quiet and pray that your feelings would go away? ...Probably.

You had to try and forget about them for the time being, though, because he was your boss, and you couldn't afford to lose your job over a silly crush.
You stepped towards Pantalone's office, and knocked on the door.

"Dottore, I'm not giving you that mora. Forget it."

You furrowed your eyebrows and gently opened the door. He looked up from his worksheets with an irritated expression, but his gaze softened once he noticed you.
"Oh? Sorry, darling, I didn't know it was you. Come here."

Your heart warmed hearing the nickname, which made you slightly embarrassed.
You gulped and stepped towards him, your heart quickly pounding in your chest.
"Do you have anything for me to do...?" You asked him, struggling to make eye contact.

"Mmm... not quite yet. What's up, hm? I know when a pretty girl like you is upset."

You felt fear shoot through your body.
"N-No, nothing is wrong, sir. Sorry, uh, I'll go..."

Pantalone grabbed your wrist as you turned to leave, and pulled you towards him. You were stood in between his legs as he was sitting down.
"Don't lie to me, treasure. Tell me what's wrong."

Perhaps he read your mind? How on earth did he know?
You picked at your fingers anxiously, physically unable to say anything. Your eyes were anywhere but his.

With one last sigh, he took your hand so that you'd stop fidgeting and rubbed his thumb on your knuckles. The gesture didn't make you feel any better - in fact, it made you feel even worse.
"I'm sorry..." You managed to mumble, eyes stinging with tears. You knew he wouldn't like you the way you liked him, and you definitely couldn't handle rejection. Not from a man with such a high rank in the Fatui.

"Did Dottore say anything to you? Please, dear, I'm worried. Talk to me."
You were fighting back tears while simultaneously trying to find the words to tell him what was up. The feeling was overwhelming.

You took a deep breath and slowly averted your gaze to meet with his. His eyes were beautiful, and his glasses really suited him. You finally began to regain your composure, and you cleared your throat. You had to tell him. It hurt to lie to him, even if he lied to other people all the time.
"I, um... I don't want to lie to you, so... could you not yell at me when I tell you?"

He never yelled at you, ever.

"Sweetheart, why would I be angry? Just tell me what's wrong and I will try my best to help you. You're my beloved assistant and the love of my life, right?"
You hesitated for a moment, and then nodded.
"I... I kind of think... that I've... fallen... for you." You whispered, and then immediately wanted to delete yourself from existence.

Pantalone didn't even bat an eye, but he laughed.
He laughed in your face. Not spitefully, but enough to make you even more embarrassed.
"And... you thought for even a second that I wouldn't return your feelings? Why else would I give you nicknames, protect you, and treat you like my lifelong partner? It's because I love you, too, Y/N. And accepting an assistant was the best thing I have ever done."

You were speechless.

"So you're in love with me, yes?"

You nodded.

"Good, good. Then I can do this."

All of a sudden, Pantalone took your chin into his hand and pulled you in for a kiss. His lips were soft and warm, and you quickly wrapped your arms around his neck.
"Mm, a secret relationship... how exciting..." He chuckled upon pulling away, and then he sat you on his lap. "Your lips are so soft... just how I'd imagined."

You nuzzled your head into his neck and exhaled.
"I love you." You mumbled into his skin.

"Mmhm, I love you more, darling. You mean the world to me; I'll give you everything I can offer."