| Xiao

___

The moon loomed large, surrounded by an ethereal glow. Despite the bitter cold, the ever so familiar yaksha and his lover rested almost silently underneath the warmth of a blanket, made especially by the innkeepers.

"Your tattoos are beautiful," I spoke, gently running my finger against Xiao's right arm. Out of instinct, he flinched; then warmed up to my touch upon realizing the situation.
The way he frequently kept so quiet was comforting in a strange way.
"...Thank you. You are quite beautiful yourself." He replied, his tone harsh but words so soft. I couldn't help but to smile a little at his comfort.

I felt slightly confused at his lack of drowsiness; wouldn't a Yaksha end up getting tired, of all people? Especially with the vast amount of demons Xiao ran into everyday...
"Are you not tired?" I asked him, humming quietly as his hand flicked some loose hair away from my face. "I... would've thought someone so busy would be asleep by now, it's getting late."
Xiao smiled ever so briefly; a rare sight, therefore I treasured it.

"No need to fret. Sleep is not necessary for me, though it is for you. The night may be young as for now, but the longer we stay up the older it gets." He mumbled, allowing his gloved hand to gently caress my cheek. "And, also, I must be awake to ensure no demons try to harm you."
I grinned, but still proceeded to worry about him.

"Are you sure? I don't mind staying awake... if it means you can get the rest you deserve." Is what I began to say, before Xiao pecked his warm lips against mine. It took me by immediate surprise, but I still returned it with a loving smile threatening to appear.
Once he pulled away, the Yaksha gently rubbed my cheek with his thumb.

"Sh, close your eyes already. I will be here from the second you fall asleep, all the way until you wake up." He whispered, a gentle kiss being pressed against my head. I felt lucky beyond relief, being able to be in the arms of Liyue's Conqueror of Demons. "You need to get some sleep, too."

Though feeling slightly dazed, I finally gave in to his subtle convincing and nodded. Moments before I closed my eyes, I murmed; "Your lips are so soft."
It definitely caught Xiao by surprise, considering his cheeks had lightly turned into a shade of pink.
"Is that a... compliment?" He asked me, eyes shining with anticipation.
I nodded my head yes, and with that he took a deep breath and exhaled. "Then, thank you. Your lips are soft, too."

My eyelids fluttered closed, and slowly I began to fall into a slumber. My head rested against Xiao's chest - he didn't exactly know what to do, so he stroked my hair to pass the time as I slept.
"You are so, incredibly stunning." He mumbled under his breath. "You brought purpose into this life of mine... I can not thank you enough, my dear Y/N."