| Xiao

___

Oh, how beautiful the night was...

I walked up Wangshu Inn's steps, holding a box in my hands. The moon was high above; the stars flickered, which lit up the entire blanket we call the sky.
Once I reached the top floor, I stepped forward towards the edge of the balcony and leaned against it, placing the box beside me. I felt somewhat upset, for no particular reason, but I was also glad that the day was nearly over.

As I was gazing at the view before me, I was also waiting for the familiar Yaksha to appear. Though busy, I found it nice how he was always trying to make time in his day to listen to whatever I have to ramble on about - though I could not bring that up without being glared at.
As if it was on cue, I felt somebody's presence around me.

"Oh. It is you."

I turned my head and met my gaze with Xiao, the Conqueror of Demons. He was clutching his polearm tightly and a mask rested on his face, though once I blinked they both disappeared.
"Mm-hm. I made you some almond tofu." I mentioned, handing the box I was formerly holding to him.
Xiao took the box and stood next to me, beginning to eat what I had made.

Unsure of what to say, I sat down on the wooden railing and sighed deeply. The fresh, cold air felt nice as it blew against my face, even while I sensed Xiao's stare on me.
"...How was your day?" I asked.
Xiao put the box down and climbed on to the railing to sit with me.
"It was fine. I fought many demons, as usual."

I nodded, placing my hands on my thighs. I was beginning to grow quite tired, it wasn't a fun experience to stay awake for so long without much sleep. "Mine was fine too, I guess. It's just really tiring."
He turned to look at me and lifted a brow slightly.
"If you are tired, why not go home and get some rest?"

I was about to say something in return, but then I realized that he could've been subtly asking me to leave.
"Oh, you're right, sorry. I'll see you-"
Xiao sighed and folded his arms.
"Nevermind. It is late, and I do not know how many monsters will be around in the darkness. Stay here for the night so I know that you are safe."

...
It felt as if my heart did a frontflip, and Xiao seemed to notice that.
"Thank you..." I replied, in an attempt to sound calm. "Do you have a room? I have no mora with me right now."

He nodded and walked into the Inn, towards one of the rooms.
When I entered I saw how untouched it was. It seemed like it'd just been booked.
"I will be here if you need anything."

On that note, I got into the bed and pulled the covers up. It was warm and cosy, and my eyes began to flutter closed quicker than I originally expected.

---

Xiao's POV
In the middle of the night, as Y/N was sleeping, I noticed that she was beginning to toss, turn, and even whine in her sleep. It did not take long for me to acknowledge she was having a nightmare - I am no stranger to those.

I sat on the bed next to her, attempting to comfort her back into a more peaceful dream.
"Y/N." I whispered, gently shaking her shoulders. It took a few tries to actually wake her.
"Hm...?" She groaned, causing my heart to melt a little unintentionally.

"You were having a nightmare, so I woke you up." I explained, laying down. There was no point in standing up all night - I could lay for a little while, right?

"Thank you." Y/N mumbled, turning over and leaning her head on my arm. I had no clue what to do, so I simply lifted my arm and rested it on her shoulder.

"It is fine. Get some sleep, you are exhausted." I whispered in return, watching with soft eyes while she closed her eyes again. "A-And, do not get used to this. I am simply cuddling you to help you fall back asleep." I added, not realizing my language for a moment.

She smiled and fell back asleep, comfortably resting on my chest.
"Goodnight, Y/N. Thank you for the tofu." I pressed my lips against her head, before shutting my own eyes.