071. foot rubs

The three are at a farmer's market, Dean on his phone as he walks with them. Sam picks up a red apple and bites into it. He holds one out to Larissa and she takes it, taking a bite.

"Wow. Guy goes to Purgatory for a year, all hell breaks loose. Check this out. A jogger in Minneapolis gets his heart ripped out." Dean says.

"I'm guessing literally?" Sam says.

"Only way that interests me. And then, there's another article from six months ago." Dean says.

"You still get sick from tomatoes?" Sam asks Larissa, holding the food up.

"Do not buy those. Get them away." Larissa orders, able to feel the nausea start to build up. Sam puts the tomatoes down.

"Same thing happens, also in Minneapolis. What does that tell us?" Dean asks.

"Stay out of Minneapolis." Sam says. He hands the woman some money with a polite smile.

"Two hearts ganked, same city, six months apart. I mean, that's got to be a ritual, man. Or at least some sort of a heart sucking, possessed, satanic, crack whore bat." Dean says.

"A what?" Sam and Larissa ask.

"It's a case. Look, I say we hang out the shingle again and ride." Dean says.

"We're on a case, Dean. Kevin and the demon tablet need to be found, so heart guy takes a number." Sam says.

"Uh, we just spent a week chasing our asses trying to lock Kevin down, okay? And look at us. We're--" Dean looks around. "Where the fuck are we?"

"Farmers' market." Sam holds his apple up. "Organic." Dean gives him a look. "What? We had a year off. We took the time to enjoy the good times."

"Yeah... totally." Larissa says.

"You just do this for him, huh?" Dean asks.

"Kinda." Larissa admits. "Especially now with the walking. This next few months are gonna be fucking long." She bites into her apple again.

"While avoiding doing what we actually do." Dean says.

"Wow, Dean, does it makes you feel that much better every time you say it?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, man, would you just let it go already? We didn't hunt for a year. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. Put on your big boy pants and get over it." Larissa says.

"All right, look, I get it. You took a year off to do yoga and play the lute, whatever, but I'm back. Okay, we're back, which means that we walk and kill monsters at the same time. We'll find Kevin. But in the meantime, do we ignore stuff like this? Or are innocent people supposed to die so that you can shop for produce?"

"Technically... those two guys didn't die while we were shopping for the produce. And unless somebody's dying right now--" Dean rolls his eyes, walking away, not wanting to hear the rest of Larissa's statement.

"Can I kill him yet?" Larissa asks.

"No." Sam mumbles. He holds her hand, leading her to the Impala.

+++

"Here's what's odd about this thing. The guy wasn't chopped or cut into, no incision. But his heart was ripped out of him like a peach pit." The detective says.

"Was he robbed?" Sam asks.

"Phone, watch, money all still on him." The detective says.

"What about enemies?" Dean asks.

"He was in town for a conference. No local connections." The detective says.

"You guys had another one of these about, uh, six months ago?" Dean asks.