Chapter thirteen

██████████ 𝐍𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠. . .

꧁𓊈𒆜 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 𒆜𓊉꧂

⋘ 𝑃𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑖𝑡... ⋙

"Listen up!" Tracy called as she walked into the living room getting everyone's attention. "I've been offered a job in London. As a junior reporter for a newspaper."

Callie smiled at Tracy proudly.

"Wow." Carman smiled.

"So I'm leaving." Tracy continued. Callie's smile dropped she grabbed ahold of Liam's hand for comfort. "Look, I've dreamt of this job ever since I lived here. I'm sorry, but I can't turn it down. It means too much."

"And we don't?" Sapphire scoffed. "Well, that's put us in our place." She said putting her pool stick down and walking off.

"No, I didn't mean it like that." Tracy stuttered.

Sapphire walked in front of Tracy. "Don't beat yourself up, Beaker. You're just one in a long line of care workers. Easy come, easy go." She walked off.

"Bye bye, Tracy." Harry shrugged following Sapphire.

Tracy looked towards Harry who was leaving. "I'm not leaving yet."

"I think this is great." Carman voiced. "You can write about us all and make us famous."

Tracy smiled at her. "I don't know about famous, but I would like to write about you. I want you to tell me what it's like to be in care."

"You already know what it's like to be in a care home." Lilly reminded.

"Well, yeah, but..." Tracy began. "The editor wants the article from your point of view. It's kind of a test." She smiled.

"Hold on, hold on, you want to leave us, but you want our help?" Liam asked. "Sorry, Tracy, that sucks." He walked off.

"Liam, please!" Tracy begged.

"You want out?" Liam turned around. "Fine, go. But you ain't getting my help."

"Mine either." Callie stood up. "You drop a bomb on us, leave everyone upset, and then you ask for our help? Nah I don't think so." She shook her head. "Fuck you Tracy Beaker."

Callie walked out, she made her way towards Liam's room, wiping her wet eyes before she went in.

"Hey, can I come in?" Callie asked looking at Liam who was sitting on the edge of his bed, head in his arms.

"Yeah." He sighed looking up. Callie could see the red around his eyes, it was clear he had been crying.

She sat herself at the top of the bed, opening her arms so he could cuddle her. He moved over to her lying his head on her chest as she began to play with his hair.

There was no words spoken between the two. Just being close to each other was comfort enough. Still it didn't fill the ache in their heart that Tracy had left.

✧.*

"Look, I know you're all totally hacked off with me." Tracy began at breakfast the next morning. "I'm so sorry for upsetting you. But we care kids don't get giving breaks. So when opportunity comes along we've got to take it. That's all I'm doing. Don't hate me for it."