Chapter 2

Pulling into the driveway, I shifted into park and stepped out of my modest, well-loved sedan.

The air in the quiet, residential neighborhood was calm, with the mildest breeze tickling the leaves of the old growth trees.

The muted notes of an eighties pop song wafted from the house, and that could only mean one thing –

-River's cleaning.

Walking through the back door of our rented two-bedroom home, I found my roommate inside our shared living room, dusting furiously.

Quirking my eyebrow, I dropped my bag on the breakfast bar. "So, how was your day?"

River's head popped up, eyes finding mine.

"Oh, hey Soph – could you hand me that rag?"

Picking up the tattered washcloth, oily now with furniture polish, I passed it over, grimacing.

"Did something happen?"

"What do you mean?" The voice came muffled and evasive.

"I mean you only clean like this when you're freaking out."

River froze, limbs clenching in a nervous rictus. Then, their shoulders sagged as they set the cloth aside, sitting back on their heels.

Heaving a sigh, River admitted, "Tom asked me on another date."

I frowned, confusion painting my features. "...but that's a good thing, right?"

"Yes? I mean, no?" A frustrated groan rang out, "I don't know."

Tom, one of the newest members of the Pack's legal team, was six lean feet of sardonic humor and dry wit.

"Mixed feelings?"

"Incredibly fucking mixed."

"Okay," I walked over to sit on the couch, "do you want to talk about it, or do you want to clean about it?"

River looked over, wary, "You sure you want to listen to my nonsense?"

"Hey," I shrugged, "you listen to mine."

"Okay." River seemed to struggle for words, "I like Tom – like, really like him – but I can't get a read on how he feels about me. He's got that damned lawyer-face that doesn't give anything away."

"And?" I prompted.

"And I don't want to risk getting serious about him if he's not willing to get serious about me."

"Wild suggestion – have you talked to him about it?"

River scoffed, "Of course not – I'm not about to destroy my mystique for a man who maybe just sees me as a fun date."

"And how do you see him?"

There was a long pause, then the soft admission: "He's got potential."

"Potential?" I asked.

River glanced over, meeting my gaze. "Like, he could be it for me, Soph."

Oh.

That revelation sank sourly in my gut.

"So, mating potential?"

River nodded, "I think so."

Damn.

Wild, carefree River was thinking about settling down? River, who changed partners about as often as they changed hairstyles?

Curious, I asked, "You could really see yourself falling for him?"

"I guess?" That panicked uncertainty was back. "I mean, he's so smart, and we can talk about anything-"

"-except your feelings." I cut in.

"Oh, God, I hate talking about feelings. Things were so much easier when I could keep my cool instead of acting like a flustered teenager," River frowned. "He's just so funny, and he's not afraid to own his nerdy side, and also he's just got a really nice ass."

I snorted. "I'll take your word for it."

"You should check it out sometime – the curvature is breathtaking-"

"TMI, Riv."

Burying their head in their arms, River groaned, "Are you sure I can't keep waiting and hoping that he admits his feelings first?"

I shook my head, "Emotional vulnerability is a bitch-"

"-it really is-"

"-but it's also kind of necessary if you want to take this beyond the 'casual' stage."

River was quiet for a moment, seemingly absorbing this idea.

"Why does this have to be so scary?"

Because it's forever.

Werewolves, for all that we looked human, had some very important differences, and one of them was this:

When we fall in love, it's for life.

Standing, I walked over to River and crouched down, taking their hand.

"It's scary because it's a risk, and because you could get hurt." Breathing in, I continued, "And it's worth it because you're an amazing person, and you deserve to be with someone who has a sense of humor, who's smart, who's easy to talk to, and who has a great ass."

River lips quirked up in a small smile. "He's a morning person though."

"Good," I laughed, "Maybe he'll get you to stop staying up until three AM."

"But I hate waking up early!" River whined.

"Because you stay up until three AM!"

River glared, then sighed, face softening with defeat. "Fine. I'll let him know we're on for dinner tomorrow." Standing, they walked back into the hallway, headed for their bedroom.

Alone in the golden afternoon light, I breathed in the scent of cleaning products and tried not to worry about what this development could mean for our friendship and my living situation.

After all, it was an inevitability – River was bound to find a mate eventually, and I would have to get another roommate or try living solo.

It wasn't that I'd chosen spinsterhood, exactly. It's just that being single, potentially never finding a mate for myself didn't bother me.

There were, after all, worse fates to be had.