Chapter 42

The planned hike led us up the hills to a secluded lake about two miles in. On the way there, Malcolm and I led the way.

Along with "Kayleigh".

She'd introduced herself almost immediately, launching into a million questions about where we were from, what our pack was like, and how we were enjoying the Meeting so far.

I say, "we", but she was mostly talking to Malcolm.

On his other side, I just listened to the onslaught, replying when she, or more often Malcolm, included me and occasionally throwing glances behind me at Will, bringing up the rear and gleefully watching the show.

As we trekked out toward the lake, her conversation turned to her pack and reiterating again and again how little she liked her peers and how much she was looking for a change.

"I mean, it's just parties and hair and shopping and boys with them-" she groaned, disgusted. "Like, they're exhausting to be around." Her voice lowered as she leaned in to Malcolm, "Honestly, I'm so glad that I finally turned eighteen, I have been dying to get out."

Malcolm nodded as his eyes turned toward me, radiating panic.

At the lake, we broke out for a fifteen-minute break, and I was making small talk and helping take pictures for some of the girls. The scenery was undeniably gorgeous, and in my quiet moments, I found myself lost in the beauty of the scene.

Kayleigh stayed by Malcolm's side the entire time,

As I watched, I saw his polite, public facade begin to crack, showing glimpses of his grumpy default expression.

Time for rescue number two...

Walking up to them, I smiled at Kayleigh, "Sorry to interrupt, but I need to borrow Malcolm for a second."

She scoffed, "You call your Alpha by his first name?"

My expression hardened into a mask, "Yep. If you'll excuse us-"

"Huh." Kayleigh glanced from me to Malcolm, "Sorry, I was just always taught that was super disrespectful. You'd never catch me addressing my Alpha without his title."

My eyes met Malcolm's, and I muttered, "Good to know," as I led him out of earshot.

When we were far enough away, Malcolm whispered, "Thank you."

Wry mirth filled me, and I asked, "So, still can't tell when someone's flirting with you?"

He took a breath, "I can if it's obvious."

"Hey there," a voice called from behind me, "seems like you made a new friend." Looking over my shoulder, I saw Will grin as he came up to us.

Malcolm scowled, "Will? Not the time."

Turning to me, Will lowered his voice conspiratorially, "What do you want to bet she asks to transfer to our Pack?"

With a lethal glare, Malcolm growled, "Put that sentence back in your mouth."

Will just smirked, shaking his head. "Have fun on the walk back - we're leaving in five minutes."

Groaning, Malcolm deflated before my eyes. As Will went to announce our departure, Malcolm placed a hand on my arm, "Promise me that you won't leave me alone with her. I know her type, and I don't trust her at all."

I raised an eyebrow, "Her type?"

He grimaced, "Dyed in the wool Alpha chaser."

My amusement soured, and I glanced her way. She stood apart from the rest of the group, messing with her phone and ignoring everyone else. But, I saw her eyes turn our way, bright with admiration as they looked over Malcolm.