Chapter 30

A sweet, soulful melody flowed over the crowded dance floor as Malcolm and I swayed together.

"You know," I mused, "you haven't stepped on my feet once."

"I know," he chuckled, "I'm concentrating really hard right now."

Smiling, I leaned my cheek against his chest, breathing in the subtle aroma of his cologne.

Through the dancing couples, I caught sight of River and Tom, completely engrossed in each other. The soft, gentle flow of the music seemed to surround them, separating them into their own little world, pressed tight together, River's arms draped around Tom's neck.

Watching the way that River gazed at Tom felt like watching a rom-com with the volume turned down. This was the climax, the moment where the leads finally confessed their love for each other, and romantic music swelled as the credits rolled.

They deserve a fairytale ending.

Sighing, I glanced away, and my smile turned to a frown.

Someone's sitting at our table.

The interloper, a man with a clean shave and a crocodile smile, had pulled up a fifth chair, and was watching us as he sipped his beer.

"What?" Malcolm looked down at me, sensing my confusion.

Wordlessly, I nodded toward the mystery man.

As Malcolm looked over, the man raised his glass in a salute.

Malcolm froze, his hand tightening against mine.

"Malcolm-"

His grip loosened as his attention snapped back to me, "Sorry."

"Who is that?"

"Blake," he muttered.

"He looks like he wants to talk to you."

"Yeah," Malcolm sighed, "fuck."

Putting on an expression that could best be described as "diplomatic", Malcolm took my hand, weaving through the dancers as he led us back toward our table.

The man, Blake, grinned, calling out, "Malcolm! Wasn't I surprised to see you here!"

After helping me into my chair, Malcolm sat, picking up his soda for a drink, "How can I help you, Blake?"

"Hmm? Oh, I just wanted to check and see how things went in Tennessee?"

Malcolm swallowed, setting his cup down, "What do you mean?"

"I mean that, according to gossip, you went down there trying to dig up some justifications to pass on the Callahan mine deal."

"Did I?" Malcolm's tone was casual, but his body language was anything but.

Blake's eyes turned to me, "Speaking of gossip, I hadn't heard you were seeing anyone - who's your lovely companion?"

Malcolm's cheek ticked ever so slightly, "Sophie Bennet, meet Blake Mason. Blake Mason, meet Sophie Bennet."

Reaching across the table, I shook his hand, "Hello."

"Charmed." His skin pressed cold against mine.

I went to pull away, but his fingers held tight.

"You know," his calculating eyes bored into me, "maybe you could help me with something?"

"What?" I tried to keep my expression pleasant, tried to hide my growing distaste.

Blake grinned, "Could you maybe talk some sense into your man here?"