Chapter 3

The next day, as morning turned into midday, Malcolm walked out of the board room, frustrated and itchy.

Fucking suit.

The meeting, a monthly gathering of the Pack's important stakeholders, was normally fairly straightforward – news from the Council, reports on Pack finances, old business, new business, then lunch.

Scowling, he stalked past the elevator, headed for the stairs.

Outside, on the terrace, he walked toward the edge, standing where the concrete gave way to grass.

Breathing in the fragrant spring air, Malcolm stared into the verdant woods, fighting the anger that burned along his veins.

Beneath the thrumming roar of his pulse, he heard the approach of footsteps.

Familiar footsteps.

"I'm betting that you liked Blake's proposal just as much as I did."

Turning, Malcolm eyed the woman behind him – older, smaller, but powerful in her own way. Her eyes gleamed with a shrewd tenacity, hinting at the iron will that made her a force to be reckoned with.

Smiling, he greeted her; "Alpha."

She cocked an eyebrow. "You gotta stop calling me that, kid."

He grinned. "Never."

"The title's been yours for four years now – someday you'll have to get used to calling me Patricia."

Malcolm shook his head, "Not a chance; you'll always be 'Alpha' to me."

Walking up beside him, she offered, "How about 'Pat'?"

He snorted, "How about 'Patty Cake'?"

Quick as a whip, she glared at him, "Watch it, pup – I can still beat your ass."

Smiling, Malcolm answered, "Sure," and turned back to the trees.

In the fifteen years they had known each other, she'd never laid a hand on him, no matter how often she threatened to.

A soft breeze filtered through the trees, whistling past the branches. He watched the movement in silence as things settled back into their gentle sway.

"Do you think they'll go for it?"

Patricia shrugged, "Some of them might."

Disbelief filled his voice. "The Callahan Mine – he actually wants us to buy the Callahan Mine?"

"Apparently so."

Looking skyward, Malcolm tried to calm his irritation. The old Callahan coal mine had been slowly failing under years of mismanagement. The family had struggled to hold onto the deed, laboring under the delusion that they could turn their fortunes around, but it seemed that time was over.

If Blake was to be believed, the son of the previous owner was preparing to sell-

-and he wants us to buy it?

Patricia spoke evenly, "If you want to fight him on it-"

Interrupting, he blurted, "Of course I want to fight him on it!"

She continued, overlooking the outburst, "-then you're going to need your facts and figures in order, because he's going to try to dazzle them with dollar signs."

Scoffing, Malcolm swallowed his disgust. "And we're just supposed to forget the mines we used to own? The mines we spent millions remediating – trying to fix the damage we caused?"

"Greed does strange things to people."

"I guess fucking so-"

Laying a hand on his shoulder, Patricia leveled her gaze at him. "Hey, anger isn't going to help anything here."

Sighing, Malcolm nodded. "You're right."

"Of course I'm right." Taking her hand away, she looked back to the woods. "Remember, you've got a month – do your research, prepare your arguments, and come into that meeting ready to saw that fucker off at the knees."

Smiling, Malcolm chuckled, "I missed having you around. How was New Mexico?"

"Gorgeous. Quinn and the babies are doing great, but I think everyone was happy to see us leave by the end."

"Oh?"

"Four adults and two newborns sharing one bathroom? You better believe it."

Glancing over, Malcolm asked, "Aren't we supposed to be social animals?"

"Nobody's that social."

His laughter was cut off by the sound of an opening door.

"Oh, sorry!"

That voice-

Turning his head, his eyes found her immediately.

Sophie.

Her startled stare darted back and forth between her former and current Alphas, embarrassment clear on her face.

He spoke up, trying to ease her obvious panic. "It's fine – we were finishing up anyway."

Quickly, she shook her head, "Don't worry about it – I can eat my lunch in the lounge."

Ducking back inside, she disappeared before he had a chance to object.

Silence descended again, punctuated by birdsong and distant cars.

"Still haven't done anything about the Archivist?" Patricia observed.

"Hmm?" Malcolm looked over at his mentor.

Smiling slyly, Patricia shrugged, "She's cute, in that meek librarian sort of way."

"Are you trying to matchmake?"

She appraised him with cool eyes. "No, just wondering why you haven't made a move yet."

There's no moves to be made.

"Between you and Aiden-"

"Kid, don't try to bullshit me. I've seen the way you look at her – when she steps into a room, you only have eyes for her. Been that way since she first came here."

Malcolm remembered the day – walking into Patricia's office and being captivated...

He remembered the brief infatuation, the hope for more.

And he remembered the way it had died under the cruel light of reality.

He couldn't court her.

She seemed so shy, so timid – she'd be miserable as an Alpha's mate.

And he wouldn't inflict that life on her.

Shaking his head, he muttered, "If you say so."

Clearing his throat, he changed the subject, "Can I treat you to lunch? You can show me baby pictures and I can pick your brain about the mine?"

Patricia smirked, "You drive a hard bargain, kid. Sure, lead the way."

Walking back inside, Malcolm steered the conversation to safer topics, staying away from a certain female whose scent still lingered in the air.