Chapter 40

Waking up the next morning, I grimaced when the aches from last night manifested as soon as I dared to move.

Not the kind of aches I wanted to wake up with, I mused, reaching under the covers to massage my cramping calf.

Speaking of...

Glancing around the room, I wondered, Where's Malcolm?

My question was answered as the door to the bathroom swung open, revealing the man himself in a three-piece grey suit, his light blue shirt offset by the dark blue tie.

Instantly, I felt my mouth dry out as my heart sped up.

Holy shit.

He caught sight of me, and a slow smolder overtook his expression, "I take it you approve?"

Meeting his gaze, I grinned, "Approve?" Leaning up on my elbows, I let my stare take in his appearance, "I'd say that you've never looked better, except," I smirked, "I've already seen you naked."

Malcolm's fathomless eyes captivated me as he drew closer, sitting down on the bed.

His hand reached for my cheek, gradually moving down to caress my neck, "So..."

"So?" His thumb rested on the side of my throat, and I knew he could feel my racing pulse.

He swallowed roughly, "You, me, tonight?"

My mind flooded with images, visions of Malcolm and I defiling every surface in this room.

A salacious grin curved on my lips, and I whispered, "I thought you'd never ask."

Sliding his hand up, he cupped my cheek as he leaned down-

I tensed, pulling back, "My breath probably smells like ass right now."

"Sophie," he chuckled, "I don't care." Closing the distance between us, I felt the soft pressure of his lips before I tasted the sweet mint on his tongue.

When we parted, I was smiling, lost in a warm daze.

"Sophie?"

"Hmm?"

Malcolm regarded me with warm adoration, "I'm going to go supervise breakfast - can you be ready to go in an hour?"

"Yeah," I groaned, sitting up, "save me some bacon?"

Standing, he solemnly intoned, "I'll guard it with my life.

I raised an eyebrow, "We're werewolves - that's not an idle promise."

He stared grimly into the distance, "I know."

Cleaned up, I headed downstairs, anticipating the flurry of whispers as I stepped into the dining room.

To my surprise, there was none.

Instead, I received several hearty, "Good Morning's" on the short trek from the lobby, along with an equal number of "Hello's" and silent, courteous nods.

What?

Then, I remembered my conversation the night before-

"...we were all starting to get worried that he'd be alone forever."

Walking into the dining room, I suddenly realized how widespread that worry had been.

Warm greetings rang out as I stepped in the door, leaving me blushing and flustered.