Chapter 48

*CONTENT WARNING* This chapter will contain detailed descriptions of sexual activity. If you would rather not read that, then please skip from the first bolded line to the second – this will cut out the sauciest parts of the chapter while keeping the plot intact.

That night, under wild stars, the attendees of the Meeting convened for a Movie Night. Walking in from the parking lot, I noticed that a massive projector screen had been erected at the campsite, accompanied by an array of speakers that battled to be heard over the raucous crowd.

As we found a spot and settled in, I noticed that the screen was showing a playlist titled, "Wolf Tunes" . Currently, "Werewolves of London" was blasting out over the space, but I could barely make out the lyrics.

Next to me, Malcolm grumbled, carrying a cooler with refreshments of varying alcohol content, "Fucking hell - are they going to be this loud the whole time?"

"Hopefully they'll shut up when the movies start." I grinned over at him, putting down a pair of folding camping chairs that had been slung over my shoulder.

Around us, our packmates got comfortable, claiming spots, laying out blankets and setting out their own seats. I watched as they greeted old friends and new acquaintances.

Missing from the fray was Will. After yesterday's ordeal, he'd called in his favor and opted to stay at the inn tonight, resting and Facetiming with his mate and their son.

After dispensing beverages and making small talk with our neighbors, a man I recognized as the resident Alpha appeared in front of the screen to quiet the audience and announce that night's double feature.

In the meantime, I got cozy, curling up in my seat and leaning against Malcolm, savoring his warmth in the chill night air.

His arm stretched across my shoulders, pulling me closer.

"Comfortable?" He asked.

I snuggled against him, "Getting there."

Ahead, the screen changed, displaying a black and white image emblazoned with "The Wolfman".

Grinning, I settled in to watch the original Hammer horror classic.

Unfortunately, someone nearby had taken the opportunity to light up, and a foul, noxious smell wafted over us.

Malcolm shifted in his seat.

"Are you okay?" I whispered.

"I'm fine."

However, as the movie played on, I began to notice a telltale tightness in his features.

"Malcolm, what is it?"

He paused, then admitted, "I'm getting a headache."

Glancing behind us, I tried to locate the source, "Do you want me to talk to them?"

"No - I'll just deal with it."

"How about we take a walk? Some fresh air might help."

Malcolm looked over at me, "...alright."

Standing, we picked our way through the audience, murmuring apologies until we made our way past the last of them.

When we were free of the crowd, Malcolm took my hand, twining his fingers between mine as we strolled. Wordlessly, we skirted around the campgrounds, heading instead toward the tree line and the barely visible trail head hidden there.

Stepping onto the shadowy path, we breathed in the scents of pine, maple, and cedar, underlaid with the faint rot of leaves decomposing on the forest floor.