Chapter 52

By the next morning, when we'd loaded the last of our things into the truck, we still hadn't discussed it. The topic hung heavy in the air as Malcolm navigated to the highway, beginning the long trek home.

On I-95, we were on cruise control in the center lane when we hit a lull in the conversation.

I felt my pulse spike, and I licked my lips.

"So," I began, "are you going to ask me about it?"

"About what?" He answered, both eyes on the road.

Glancing over, I tried to gauge his mood, "About last night."

Malcolm smirked, "You mean the absolutely unhinged things you did to me after we got back?"

Blushing, I landed a playful smack on his shoulder, "No, I mean at the party."

"You mean Xavier?"

"Yeah." I looked down, staring at my hands in my lap.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not particularly," I admitted.

"Then we won't."

I turned to stare at him, unsure I'd heard him right, "We won't?"

He flexed his hand on the steering wheel, "Your past is your business, and if you're not comfortable sharing, I don't want you to feel like you have to."

"You're not curious?"

"I didn't say that. I'm just willing to wait until you're ready."

Sitting back against the seat, I drew my knees up, curling in on myself. "There... there's just a lot about New Mexico that I'd rather leave behind. Like, god, I haven't been back in years." I shook my head, my thoughts trailing off.

Now, Evie's mating ceremony is going to drag me back...

An icy tendril of fear crept up my spine as I imagined exactly what and who I'd be going back to.

"Sophie?"

"Hmm?" I turned to Malcolm, blushing slightly.

He glanced my way, "I was saying, I've been told I'm a good listener - just let me know if or when you want to give me the full story."

My pulse leapt at his words.

Taking my hand, he squeezed, "You're worth the wait."

Settling back into my seat, I sighed, feeling guilt race through me like a poison.

"Tired?"

I nodded, averting my eyes from his, "Exhausted."

"Here," Malcolm lowered the volume on the truck's stereo, "go ahead and take a nap."

"Excuse you," I managed a faint smile, "I'm the copilot - I have a job to do."

He pointed toward the phone mounted on the dashboard, displaying a map, "We're basically on autopilot until we hit New York. Take a break."

"Okay," I murmured, balling up my jacket and wedging it between the window and my head. Eyes closed against the midmorning sun, I asked, "Don't let me sleep too long, okay?"

Malcolm answered, "Okay. Get some rest, Sophie."

With an uneasy heart, I eventually drifted into fitful sleep, haunted by ghosts of my past.

"So, what's the plan after I drop you off?" Malcolm asked.