Chapter 17

The drive from the McGhee Tyson Airport in Knoxville Tennessee to our shared hotel was relatively short and uncomfortably cramped.

The compact car that had been rented for us would do for travel to and from meetings, but our luggage fought for meager trunk space, and every slight turn had my shoulder slamming against Malcolm's.

"Sorry-" he glanced over as we took the exit toward downtown Knoxville.

Taking hold of the overhead handle, I pulled myself away from him. "It's fine."

"I guess I'm just used to the truck?"

"This car is the size of a shoebox - don't worry about it, it's fine."

He sighed, looking down for a second at the map displayed on his phone. "Well, for what it's worth, we're almost there."

"Thank the Moon..." I stretched in my seat, achy and exhausted after our plane ride.

When we stopped at a red light, Malcolm asked, "So, your meeting's first thing tomorrow?"

I nodded, "The mediator's going to pick me up at eight, and then I'm going to present the Archives' analysis of the document."

"Sounds stressful."

"Gerald's been coaching me as well as he can, given the circumstances. I just have to communicate the findings and let the mediator handle the rest. I'll probably be out of there in an hour or two."

"Well, that's not too bad."

"Considering what Gerald's told me about these Alphas? Two hours is a blessing. I just feel sorry for the mediator - she sounds lovely and she doesn't deserve these two."

"I'm sure she can handle them - I'd imagine that you don't get into that kind of work unless you've built for it."

"Still." I paused to adjust the briefcase between my feet. "Anyway, what about you? When are your meetings?"

Malcolm shrugged as the light turned green and we drove forward. "I'm going to be at one pack in the morning, one in the afternoon. Obviously, with their Alphas busy-"

I snorted, "You're welcome for that."

He fought back a smile "-I'm going to be escorted around by their Betas."

Glancing over, I asked, "What is it exactly that you're doing in these meetings?"

We slowed to wait in the left turn lane, and I watched as his eyes hardened.

"...there's this proposal."

"Oh?"

Malcolm's hands tightened on the wheel, "The Board has been asked to consider purchasing the Callahan coal mine."

I felt the news wash over me, unsure of how to feel. "Oh. And you're..."

"I'm trying to convince them not to."

Turning my head, I gave him my full attention.

He continued, "Both of the packs down here have been involved in coal mining at various levels for over a century now - they're a wealth of information. I'm trying to get some insight into the costs, the dangers, and the environmental impacts."

"So you can argue against the purchase?"

Nodding, "Yeah. I mean, with the amount of money we'd have to spend, I'd rather invest in something a little more sustainable, like a wind farm or solar, you know? Something that's not going to pollute our own territory..." The turn light glowed green, and as he made a left, I heard Malcolm mutter, "...or anyone else's."