Chapter 14

Pulling into the driveway of the brick-fronted home, I shifted into park before grabbing my purse and stepping out. The concrete path up to the front door was lined with ornamental flowerpots filled with an assortment of sweetly fragrant blooms.

Stopping at the front door, I pressed the round doorbell and waited.

Footsteps sounded from within, and the door swung open to reveal a tall, slim man with greying hair carrying a wriggling four-year-old.

"Sophie?"

"Sophie!"

The two spoke simultaneously, my boss's mate and their adopted daughter.

I gave a little wave, addressing the man. "Hi, Oliver. Gerald asked me to stop by?"

Confusion swept over his face, then he brightened, "Oh, right – the work thing. He's in our room, packing."

Packing?

I felt my eyebrows draw together, but still thanked Oliver before saying goodbye to Violet and making my way through the house.

Even if I hadn't occasionally babysat for them, I would have known the way back to Gerald and Oliver's bedroom from the furious sounds of clothes being thrown around.

Knocking on the doorjamb, I called, "Gerald, it's Sophie?"

The familiar form of my boss appeared, carrying an armful of shirts. "Sophie! Thank the Goddess – I'm so sorry, everything just got so crazy all at once-"

There was a frenzied gleam in his eyes that I didn't understand. "Um, sure?"

Running a hand through his thinning hair, his gaze darted around the room. "Aw, hell – it looks like a bomb went off in here. I need to get our meds together, and we still need to get the car seat-" Cupping his hands around his mouth, he yelled, "Ollie! Where did we put the car seat?!"

His mate's voice came from behind me, "It's in the living room, along with the diaper bag and the portable crib. I told you – I'd handle that stuff, you just need to get our clothes packed."

Glancing from one man to the other, I asked, "What's going on?"

Gerald gave me a shaky smile, "The agency called – our baby's coming!"

"Wh-" Pleased surprise flooded through me, "That's fantastic! Congratulations!"

Gerald's dazed smile lit up the room, "Yeah – the birth mother just started having mild contractions – if we leave now, we should make it there before she delivers."

"Which," Oliver cut in, "is why you need to get us packed – I've already got Violet's things ready and I'm going to start loading up the car."

As Gerald looked at the heaping pile of clothes laying on the bed, I could almost hear his panic.

Stepping into the room, I pulled the large rolling suitcase out from under the mess, "Here, let me help – I'll fold, you tell me what you called me over for?"

Gerald sighed, "Thank you-"

"Happy to help," I interrupted, "Now, you said there was an emergency, and you needed to ask me a favor?" Picking up a shirt, I pulled it off of its hanger and began rolling it.

Slumping down on the side of the bed, he sighed, "So, with the new baby, I'm going to be off on paternity leave..."

"Okay?" Setting the rolled bundle inside, I picked up another shirt, repeating the process.

"...and you remember how I was going to have to go to Tennessee?"

Pausing, I felt my eyes widen as I looked at him. "What?"

Gerald sighed, "Everyone else is swamped - you are the only person who's qualified to handle that document and available to travel right now."

"I- I've never-"

"I know – and believe me, I wouldn't spring this on you unless it was an absolute emergency."

There was an utter, end-of-his-rope desperation in his voice, and I felt my resistance cracking under its weight.

"When would I need to fly out?"

He sucked in a breath.

Fuck.

"...tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" My hands tightened into fists.

"Tomorrow afternoon." He amended, "The meeting is first thing Friday morning, and you'd be flying back on Saturday."

My eyes narrowed as I glared at him.

"I know – I know, but setting up this meeting has already been an ordeal, and rescheduling it would be an absolute logistical nightmare." His pleading stare burned into me, "You're the only one who can do this."

I felt my jaw tighten with annoyance, "Okay."

"'Okay'?"

I picked up a pair of pants, rolling them and fitting them in next to the shirts, "Yeah, I'll do it."

But I'm not going to like it.

Gerald smiled, "You're a lifesaver." Palpable relief rolled off of him in waves, "I'll let Alpha Malcolm know-"

"Alpha Malcolm?" I frowned.

He nodded, "He's got some kind of meeting down there too. We were going to carpool to the airport."

I swallowed, hard.

"Oh?" It took everything in my power to keep my voice even, to not betray my inner turmoil.

"Don't worry," he smiled, "He's not that scary once you get to know him."