Chapter 26

Kneeling in the children's section of the library, I scanned over the seemingly infinite spines, looking for the title of the one that I was going to be reading.

"Come on, where are you..." I muttered, neck starting to ache from trying to read sideways.

"Need some help?"

I looked up to see Josie standing over me, a tiny, bright-eyed ball of energy bouncing next to her.

"Oh, hi!" Straightening up, I asked, "Who's this?"

Josie answered with an unmistakable tone of pride and love, "This is Noah, my son."

Holding out a hand, I said, "Hi, Noah. I'm Sophie."

Instead of taking it, he asked with a tongue still learning how to form words, "Uncle Malcolm's Sophie?"

My blush burned like the surface of the sun.

Uncle Malcolm's?

Unable to answer, I glanced up at Josie.

Apologetic, she explained, "Sorry, Will told us."

Oh, right, I thought, recognition washing over me, she's Will's mate.

Clearing my throat, I smiled, "It's fine-"

"You saw his wee-wee!"

Oh, fuck me-

I didn't just freeze, I fossilized while Noah stood there, oblivious in his glee.

Eyes wide as saucers, Josie muttered, "Oh my god-" Kneeling quickly, she spoke to Noah, "Hun, you know how we talked about private things?"

"Yes?"

"That story about Uncle Malcolm? That's private, okay?"

"Oh, okay." Looking toward me, Noah said, "Sorry."

"Th-" I coughed, "That's fine."

Looking back at his mother, Noah asked, "Can I play now?"

Josie nodded, "Stay in the storytime area, and don't be too loud - I'll be right there."

As he toddled away, I looked away, dazedly trying to collect myself.

"Um-"

"I am so sorry about that," Josie muttered, "We don't keep secrets in our house, but he's still learning-"

"It's okay, just..." I glanced over at her, "you know everything?"

Josie winced, "About that night? Yes..."

"Fantastic," I groaned.

"For what it's worth, I swear, we haven't told anyone else."

Shaking my head, I sighed. "It's fine, I just... wasn't expecting to hear that."

"In the middle of a library, right before you're about to start storytime?" Josie chuckled, "I don't blame you for being caught off guard."

"You're here for storytime?"

"Yup," she nodded, "Noah loves the voices you do."

"Well," turning back to the shelf, I resumed my search for the book I needed, "that's always nice to hear."

"Oh, also, I keep forgetting to message you, but..."

"Hmm?"

"Our book club is meeting this Thursday, and that invitation still stands if you want to come."