Chapter 29

Walking into Tooley's for the second time that night, a wave of raucous country music hit me full blast, blaring out of the speakers at full volume.

It's not Tchaikovsky, but you can still dance to it.

Bumping my hips against River's, I grinned, moving with the rhythm as Tom and Malcolm argued behind us about who was paying.

When Tom eventually won - a testament to his lawyer prowess - we made our way inside, sighting and claiming an empty four-top table right next to the dance floor.

The room that had seemed so airy and open this afternoon was now packed to the rafters with bodies, scenting the air with a hundred different scents - some more noxious than others.

One particularly ripe gentleman passed us, and I could almost see the odious, green trail he left in his wake.

"You know, there are moments when I really hate our sense of smell."

Turning, I saw Malcolm standing beside me, watching as the man walked toward the bar.

He shook his head, pulling out my chair before sliding into the one next to me.

River leaned back, hailing one of the circulating servers, "So, are you guys down to share a pitcher?"

To my right, Malcolm replied, "You guys go ahead, I'll just stick to water."

Glancing my way, River looked confused for a moment before shrugging, "Okay."

Several tables down, a woman approached wearing a nametag and a friendly smile. "Violet," according to the tag, was familiar - I'd seen her around pack events and her approaching scent marked her out as a lycanthrope.

"Howdy!" She greeted, upbeat and clearly feeling the spirit of the night, "What can I get y'all started with?"

"Could we," River gestured to Tom, me, and themselves, "get a pitcher of Blue Moon to share? And he'd like water," River concluded, pointing at Malcolm.

Violet leaned a hand on the back of Malcolm's chair, "Are you the designated driver tonight?"

His eyes darted my way, "...sort of." He had driven me in, but driving wasn't the issue.

He's still on his break.

Beneath the table, I squeezed his hand.

"Well, that's awful generous of you - you sure you don't want a soda? It's on the house for DD's."

"Uh, sure," he answered, "I'll take a Coke?"

Violet nodded, flashing a brilliant smile, "Comin' right up!"

The music changed, fading into an old favorite from my childhood days.

Turning, I asked Malcolm, "Wanna dance?"

Before he could answer, River grabbed my other hand, "I do!" Whirling me out onto the dance floor, they dragged me to the middle, twirling me before pulling me in and glancing over my shoulder.

"Okay, he's looking."

Curious, I asked, "What are you doing?"

River grinned, "Stoking his jealousy."

"What?"

"Just a little!"

"River!"

"It's simple cause and effect. If seeing you with someone else gets him jealous, then he's gonna jump to be your partner anytime you want to dance for the rest of the night."