Chapter 59

Several years earlier...

The cacophony of the cafeteria rang around us as I stirred the state-issued spoon around my empty yogurt cup. My stomach rumbled beneath the clatter of trays, and the greasy aroma of French fries wafted on the air, tempting me.

Definitely not in the diet plan...

In the busy lunchroom of Buena Vista High, I sat with the remnants of my "meal" before me.

The circular table, furthest from the line and closest to the windows, had been ours since freshman year.

After all, no one - not even seniors - were willing to cross the future Alpha of our pack.

Eyeing the tray next to mine, I debated stealing the sole remaining fry.

I'm probably the only person in this entire school who would even dare...

But, before I could muster the courage, it was picked up, dragged through a puddle of ketchup, and lost to another person's teeth.

The next Alpha of the Buena Vista Pack.

Hunter Edwards-

-my boyfriend.

Frowning slightly, I turned to him, "Really?"

He glanced my way, "What?"

Pushing down my frustration, I curved my lips into a tight smile, "You finished before you paid the 'girlfriend tax'."

"Sorry babe," he wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me closer, "I was starving."

I chuckled with him, steadfastly not looking at the meager eighty calories I'd allowed myself.

Around us, the rest of the group carried on in conversation. Bailey, sitting with barely any more food than I'd had, was going on about the prom dress she'd picked up at a boutique in Santa Fe.

"-super sleek and low cut. Like, it's almost a little slutty, but I figured, 'What the hell?' It's my last Prom, I'll wear what I want."

All across the cafeteria, bright, handmade posters hung from masking tape on the cinderblock walls; reminders to buy Prom tickets, advertising couples' discounts, and hyping up the official after-party.

I wanted to rip them to multicolored shreds.

"What about you?" Taylor asked from across the table, looking at me as she brought up her bottle of water for a sip, "You haven't said a thing about your dress."

I smirked, playing coy, "And spoil the surprise? No way."

In the back of my mind, I pictured the garment bag hanging in my closet.

May as well be a funeral shroud.

Hunter laughed, "She hasn't even told me." His hand squeezed me against him, "Guess she wants to make the night special."

Taylor's eyes took on a knowing gleam, and I fought the urge to vault across the table and claw them out.

The weight of their expectations hung heavy around my neck, and I ached with a pain that was almost physical.

Ryan grinned next to her, "Any big plans you want to share?"

Hunter rolled his eyes, "Ry, how about you mind your business?"

"When it involves the future alpha pair of my pack-"

He glared, "Speak louder - I don't think the humans heard you!"